── JUST FRIENDS

Monday, January 24, 1966

☆ミ ROSE

≻─────    ⋆✩⋆ ─────≺

IT HAD BEEN 3 weeks since I've last seen the gang after the night I had spent with Dally on New Years. I hadn't been going over since that night and I've called Darry lying saying I was really busy with school. Since then school had started once again after the break and I had been back to my old ways. Randy had apologized but I hadn't forgiven him at all and made it understood that we were done. I had told Cherry and Marcia that our breakup had been sort of mutual. Lately, I had been feeling sick my stomach was queasy which made me puke throughout the day. I had been getting bad headaches. I knew there had been a stomach bug going around so this was most likely the reason for my sickness.

It was the end of school for today and I had allowed Hazel to pick up some books from the library while I waited for her inside my car. Hazel and I weren't on speaking terms that much because she was confused and hurt on why I had informed her that we weren't going to be going to the Curtis house any time soon. She was sad knowing she couldn't see Johnny and I did feel guilty for it but it was for the best. I wanted to tell her but every time I tried to explain the reason It would never come out. I was ashamed for doing what I had done that night and wanted no reminder of it at all. And that meant not visiting the gang for quite a while.

"Rose!" my thoughts were shortly interrupted by the noise of Ponyboy knocking and shouting outside my car door.

"Ponyboy what is going on?" I shouted back as I opened the car door allowing him inside to sit on the passenger seat. I had seen Ponyboy around during school however I attempted my best to keep away from him. Don't get me wrong I wanted to talk to him but I didn't know how to explain why I hadn't been coming around that often anymore. Darry had told me over the phone that some of the gang weren't buying on the whole school work explanation.

"You haven't been going around the house lately and-" He said.

"Ponyboy-" I tried to say before I was cut
off by him.

"I know it's because of what happened on New Years' night with Dal at Buck's party," he blurted out I looked at him alarmed by how he had known. I knew Dal loved gloating about his several nights with random broads but I never knew he would tell others about us.

"He told you? Did he tell the others? Please don't tell me they know Pony." I was now freaking out as I held the tears in. I don't know why but recently I have been so emotional and it was very bothersome and visible to others.

"No, calm down Rose. He only told Darry and uh I just overheard but I swear the others don't know and Dal might be a giant asshole but if he wanted to he would have already told the others by now." I sighed listening to Ponyboy explain. I still felt panicked by Darry knowing but Darry hadn't brought it up at all and I was relieved Dal had only told him.