── THE DIAGNOSIS

Monday, February 28, 1966 (Eight weeks pregnant)

☆ミ ROSE

≻───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────≺

≻───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────≺

   TWO WEEKS PASSED since I had last spoken to Dally or the gang which had me feeling a little sad. I missed the gang hearing Two-Bit and Steve crack jokes, Soda's amazing chocolate cake, Ponyboy's daily poetry he had discovered in books, Johnny's mannered words, Darry's outstanding cooking, and even Dal's irking remarks. School wasn't the greatest either, after the incident with Cherry she didn't speak to me in the slightest way only in Chemistry for experiments but the talk was quick and incredibly uncomfortable. Not to also mention the immense tension between me and Hazel. I do know I have to tell her and that is exactly what I was going to do today. She had the right to know because I had promised no more secrets for now on and I knew it would be wrong of me not to do precisely that.

"Can I talk to you for a quick moment before we head to school?" I implored anxiously crossing my arms to cover my baby bump which had become a usual habit for me to hide it. She shrugged but allowed me inside where I sat on her bed next to her.

"What is it you want to talk about?" she inquired as a Beatles song played in the background of her bedroom. I reached into my black handbag and pulled out the other ultrasound photo I had received at the clinic. I handed it to her, and then she looked at the image looking very confused.

"What am I suppose to be looking at?" I sighed and then responded "I'm having... Twins."  she appeared excited by her reaction being squeezing me and squealing she reminded me of Cherry which wasn't a nice aspect. 

"That's wonderful Rose!" she said as she pulled away from the hug. "I guess" I answered back before making my way out of her bedroom into the kitchen where my father was preparing himself a cup of coffee. I was startled seeing him usually he was gone before Hazel and I were even awake for school. He was well-dressed and I glanced over to see the garbage-filled with bottles of beer. Of course, my father hadn't been aware of my pregnancy, and I was not intending on telling him any time soon.

"Rose you're awake. Please call your sister I want to have an uh... discussion." I flinched as he plopped his hands on my shoulders. I was confused but then proceeded to call out for Hazel.

"What is it, Rose-" she halted in her tracks seeing my father. "What's going on?" she asked as she hesitantly began to step down the stairs. I gave her a look to listen and surely after some seconds she gave in and made her way downstairs to the kitchen. My father gestured us to sit down I listened and instructed Hazel to do the same.

"I'm going to get help for my... addiction. I know I've caused you both a vast amount of pain and I'm so so sorry. You don't have to accept it any time soon but I'm going to try." My father's statement nearly had me in tears along with Hazel too. I don't think I'm capable yet to forgive him. The pain he had brought me through his vicious words and the physical abuse he had brought upon me was hurtful. But I knew if he perhaps tried to get the help he could earn my forgiveness but that would take a long time.

"I also found something out about my health. I went to the clinic and they discovered that I have liver cancer. You know that it runs in our family and the drinking added to it has worsened it. They've caught it pretty late. It's in stage 3." Hazel gasped hearing this unfortunate information. At that moment all, I could do was get up and run upstairs. My father tried crying to me but I didn't budge. All I could do was cry in my pillow I know my father had been a selfish and cruel man but I couldn't lose my father too. I knew that deep inside he was the father I had known before my mother's passing. And with the support, he could go back to being that man but I wasn't too convinced he would be able to do that now after his diagnosis. I didn't feel like attending school, not after this. Right at this moment, I just needed a hug.

Dally's POV

Since the last time I've talked to Rose, I have been back to old ways. I had cut down on the partying but after finding out Rose was pregnant with twins and all that I wanted to forget about it. I've been partying at Buck's almost every night and when I wasn't at a party I was causing trouble. I was lifting magazines, candy, and anything I saw easy to steal from gas stations and local stores. Finally, I hadn't been coming around the gang that much and that's because I didn't feel the need to argue over Rose with "Mr. Pretty Boy Soda" while everyone seems to take his side.

I woke up from the stupid and annoying noises from downstairs. I knew this was Buck's place and I shouldn't be complaining but damn he was awake early and didn't know how to keep quiet when others were sleeping. I got up from the messy bed and looked for my packet of cancer sticks on the small table near my bed. As I shuffled through the mess on the table I came across the picture Rose had shown me about two weeks ago. I picked it up and looked at it closer. I didn't know what to think. I mean I don't like kids at all.

"What you doing up so early?" I flinched and dropped the picture. It was Buck he had stepped into my room and scared the shit out of me.

"What the hell man don't do that shit ever." I pointed at him. He placed his hands in a hasty manner laughing seeing my reaction.

"You should have seen your face."he chuckled as I started to walk away from my room. He then picked up the picture I tried to snatch it away from him but he was not letting me have it.

"Why you have one of those pregnancy pictures girls get," he asked still cackling.

"Come on man give it to me." I had eventually snatched it away from him but that didn't stop him from his dumb questions.

"Well Well, Dallas Winston got a girl pregnant. I can't say I'm shocked seeing that you're getting it on every damn night. I knew this was coming aren't you only 16?" He lit up a cancer stick and paused for me to reply.

"17 and alright who cares. I don't have time for any speeches. I've been having those from the others too much. Everybody acting like I'm stupid or something." I glanced down at my dirty shoes. I'm tired of being treated like a kid. I was 17 years old I can make my own decisions. Everybody is making it seem like it's all on me when Rose wanted to spend the night with me.

"You better get your act straight kid. You have a lot of growing up to do that's all I have to say. I can't make any decisions for you." he walked out patting my shoulder leaving me standing there. I shook my head confused about this what he had just said. I picked up the picture and put it back under an empty pack of cigarettes and headed off to find Johnny since I hadn't seen or talked to him that much. At this point, I didn't know what to do all I needed to think about right now was finding Johnny.