── KICKS

Monday, June 20, 1966 (5 months into her pregnancy)

☆ミ ROSE

≻───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────≺

≻───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────≺

"COME ON ROSE we already made sure that Dal isn't gonna' be at the drive-in a movie tonight. What more clarification is needed?" Ponyboy asked as we all sat outside the Curtis home eating some pizza.

The gang had been trying to get me out of the house since school ended for me only five days ago which was supposed to be thrilling and all. But to me, it wasn't anything 'thrilling'. Yeah, I was excited to spend my first summer again with the gang but being pregnant during it wasn't what I would call the best. Also not to mention what had happened a few weeks ago during that car ride home. I felt stupid for being so vulnerable hearing that song and in a way forcing Dal to comfort me. There was no way Dal would do that on purpose. He made it very clear, and I mean very clear that he would never be soft for any broad. After that night the arguments died down which was a benefit but it only became more awkward between us.

For example, whenever we talked, it was always short and uncomfortable. It appeared as if he would hint to ask about the twins without entirely asking. These talks usually resulted in one of us walking away because of how strange it was between is. The rest of the gang made fun of this saying things like "It seems like Dal has a crush." Or other things similar to that causing Dal to become defensive and mainly cause an argument. It all made me feel regretful for that night. If I hadn't cried over a song maybe it wouldn't be this awkward. I don't understand why it's awkward, but I did my best to try and not think about that.

"Okay, but what if he does show up? Y'all know how weird it has been between us. Also, did I note that my stomach is so huge and makes me an easy target to be picked on by other people?" I sighed taking a bite from my pizza. I wasn't in the mood for no movie even though it had once been something relaxing and fun to do in the past. I just didn't feel the need to possibly run into more trouble.

"And you haven't told us why. Did you two kiss or something like that?" Mary said effecting everyone to go quiet. I nearly choked on my food hearing this.

"No! I have no idea where you would get that from but either way, I'm not going." I rolled my eyes standing up to go back inside not wanting them to try and argue my decision.

"Come on Rose. Please! You've been staying home all these days. Surely that gets tiresome and just because you're pregnant with twins doesn't mean you have to stay home and be boring." Hazel begged as she sat next to Johnny on the grass. Now everyone was begging me even Two-Bit and Steve. It was astonishing and sort of convincing.   

"Fine but I'm only doing it because you guys begged but you guys are paying for my popcorn and drink." I agreed before walking back inside the house.