── HOPE

Monday, May 23, 1966 (About four months pregnancy)

☆ミ ROSE

≻───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────≺

≻───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────≺

WEEKS PASSED AND my decision about school was still not made. I had promised the gang that I was going to keep the twins and I had no intention of changing that but that didn't mean that it didn't come with some problems with one of them being school. Darry being the responsible person he was wanted me to stay in school while Two-Bit and mostly all the others said I didn't need school to be successful. But finally, I had made the decision and was going to discuss it with the principal. After the discussion, Darry had promised to pick me up, so we can all hang out at the house like we always did.

"You can come in Rose." Principal Davis gestured me in the small office and I sat anxiously on the chair. She then motioned me to talk, and I shifted in my chair before saying what I needed to say.

"So, I've come to my decision to drop out of high school next year however I will finish this school year," I announced having her smile on her wrinkly face drop. This decision was not easy yet it was the best for me although college had always been a dream for me I could always go another time. 

"I have noticed your grades dropping after the tragic passing of your father but Rose you're a bright student you have the potential to fix this and perhaps finish your senior year and go to the college you want." She explained provoking me to almost laugh in her face. I was bewildered at how many teachers struggled to play clueless on my pregnancy, and that's strictly what she was doing. I mean my stomach was large enough to tell I was indeed pregnant.

"Mrs. Davis, I'm pregnant with twins no need to pretend not to know I'm sure you've heard the recent rumors. And again I've decided to keep them so that's it." I got up and grabbed my purse attempting to get excused by her. I really wanted to spend time with the gang and watch Mickey Mouse with Two-Bit as I had promised.

"I did know the father being that greaser Dallas Winston? He's the one that attacked Randy and Bob. I do believe your involvement with these hoods is also causing your attitude to worsen." She stood up and brushed off her skirt as my mood had changed to furious now. She talked about greasers as they were awful people and her bringing up Randy and Bob only made my hostility to her even worse. After Dal had beat up Randy and Bob I had to drop the charges since that could affect the trial but Dal made it clear to them if they ever made it near me again they would pay, so I wasn't that afraid anymore.

"You portray Randy and Bob as innocent. You don't know the true story behind them being attacked and truthfully they deserved it now excuse me. And also please don't talk about my friends like that they are the best people I know far better than anyone here." I exclaimed breathlessly before running out of the building. The only thing I wanted to do was go over to the Curtis Home and tell them all about this and hear their amusing jokes. Hazel had made her way over to their home with Pony, so I didn't have to look for her but I did have to wait which wasn't exhilarating.     

I stood in the sunny warm spring weather waiting for Darry to show up and to drive me away from this place. I heard a car pull up and looked to see it. I immediately recognize it as Dally's. I was incredibly confused about why he was at my school. A couple of weeks ago when he was drunk he had called me " His Rose " but I knew he was only drunk, and didn't feel any feelings towards me. We didn't really talk much after that incident I merely thanked him and moved on. I still don't know what he wants about the twins, and I have no ambition to ask. 

"Why are you here?" I curiously asked as was lighting up ignoring the glares from teachers passing by.

"Darry asked me to pick you up he had something in the way. Now get inside the car." I rolled my eyes in annoyance and rather than listening and getting into the car I began to walk. I heard his car door swing open and him following after me.

"I'm not getting in Dal. I would rather much walk." I continued walking but then stopped realizing there was no way I would be able to make it to their house by walking and not to mention how I still sort of fear after what Randy and Bob did. I turned around dismissing Dal's comments and laughs as I entered his car. 

"I heard Darry say you had to talk to the principal. What are you going to do about school huh?" Dal asked as he drove recklessly despite the numerous times I warned him not to.

"None of your business. I don't need your opinion about my life it's not like you care anyway. And please stop driving like this you're gonna' kill us all." I yelled as he roughly sped past a red light. He snickered seeing me so irked up but listened and slowed down his driving.

"Didn't you want to go to that college to become a teacher or something boring like that?" He questioned while he turned to look over at me. I had my arms crossed making it very clear I had no desire to speak to him about my personal life. I could tell he was certainly hinting at adoption its impossible Dal cares this much about what I'm going to do about school and all that.

"Dal, like I said I'm not putting the twins up for adoption. It's final, and I don't need you trying to persuade me otherwise. Again I'm not trying to ruin your life, to be honest, do what you want. I'm not gonna' bother you once they are born. I know how much you just want to be free so I understand." I loudly confessed not having him interrupt me at all. He appeared stunned after hearing my somewhat small speech and only returned his focus back on the road.

"I wasn't thinking about that Rose. I just remember uh you talking about going to college ever since you were a kid. And how much we use to pick at you for it calling you a nerd and all. Now you're giving that up." He clarified not once turning to face me. Hearing this made me feel guilty and also kind of amazed by how much he remembered. For once it seemed as he did truly care no matter if he wouldn't say it.

"Well, I can't anymore," I mumbled finally making it to the Curtis Home. There we were welcomed by everyone who happened to be outside. Dal who hadn't said anymore to me drove off after dropping me off leaving me fairly sad. I really wanted him here, and I felt guilty thinking the worse about him. I knew the one and only Dallas Winston would never admit to it but I knew that his actions showed he cares about me and possibly the twins and that gave me some kind of hope.