𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒐𝒏𝒆

SEPTEMBER, 2001

Today was your first day at school.

You moved to Sheffield nearly a month ago, that meant that you knew literally no one there and nervousness was present.

You went downstairs, your mom already waiting for you there.

"Good morning, sweetheart." -She kissed your temple. -"Are you nervous?"

"Yes, mom." -You sighed and she grabbed your hands.

"You worry too much... i'm sure it'll be alright, and you'll meet good people there, trust me." -She said while caressing your hands.

"I hope so..."- You sighed once again, not being so sure about that. -"Anyways, I better be going now, see you later mom." -You kissed her cheek and turned around, approaching the door.

"You won't have breakfast first?" -She asked.

"I'm not hungry mum, thank you." -You smiled to her before opening the door and leaving. When you were feeling nervous you just couldn't eat anything.

When you were outside, you could see some groups of teenagers in the street, who you guessed were going to your school as well. You had no one to go with, so you just grabbed your headphones. Music was your company today.

The school was like fifteen minutes away from your house. It wasn't that far away, but it was boring walking all the way alone. You just wished that would change soon.

Suddenly, one hand on your left shoulder interrupted your thoughts.

You turned around and removed one headphone from your ear. It was a boy: he wasn't very tall, his hair was kind of short and had a bit of acne. He was very cute. -"Hi, do you need something?" -You smiled shyly.

"Hi, eh... you had your bag half opened and... this fell from it." -He handed you your notebook, scratching the back of his neck. -"Here." You grabbed it.

"Oh! I didn't even notice it." -You smiled to him and put it into your bag. -"Thank you so much."

"You're welcome." -He smiled back. When he saw you were about to leave again, he spoke. -"You're... you're going alone?"

You looked at him. -"Seeing that i'm new in the neighborhood and that I don't know anybody yet... yeah I am." -You giggled, playing with your fingers.

"Oh, then you can come with me if you want." -He offered, putting his hands into his pockets.

"You sure? I don't want to bother."

"Don't say that, you won't bother me!" -He laughed softly. -"Now let's go, or else we will be late and you don't want that on your first day." -You both started walking. -"By the way, i'm Alex, Alex Turner."

"I'm y/n, y/n y/s." -You smiled looking at him.

On your way to school, he explained to you a little bit how it felt being in Sheffield. He felt proud of being from here. He also talked about how the teachers and the people he knew at school were... and of course, he didn't forget to talk about his best friends too. If they were as nice as he was, you'd get along with them, you had no doubts.

At school.

"So..." -He accompanied you to your locker. -"What's your first class then?" -He asked raising a bit his eyebrows. He was wishing to be in the same class as you, but he didn't tell you. And it was his lucky day.

"Ehrm..." -You looked at your schedule. -"Maths, classroom 34."

He smiled. -"Yay, that's my class too!" -He exclaimed and then cleared his throat, realising he showed too much excitement. -"Can... can I see your schedule?"

"Yes, sure." -You noded giggling and handed it to him.

"Hey, we have the same classes but one!" -He smiled big and gave it back to you. You smiled back to him, he looked happy.

You both reached the class and Alex let you come in first.

The rest of the class stared at you, you couldn't read their faces properly, but you started feeling nervous again. Alex saw you standing there looking around you. Noticing what was going on, he went next to you and put his hand on your back.

"Come on, you'll sit with me." -He led you to his table and you both sat down. -"Don't worry if they look too much, okay?" -He said softly. You noded.

"Hey! That's my spot!" -You heard a voice say. You thought you already messed up, but when you looked up, you noticed that person smiling. -"Who's this, Alex?"

"She's y/n, and she's new in Sheffield." -He looked at you. -"Y/n, this is Matt, my best friend. The one I just told you about."

"I hope he said good things about me." -He laughed. -"It's nice to meet you, y/n."

"Same here, and you can sit here, I mean... it's your seat after all." -You were going to get up but he stopped you.

"No, no, please, don't worry, there's no problem!" -He said when he noticed Alex's face when you were about to move to another table. -"Stay with Alex, he'll be a good company."

You smiled. -"He is, indeed. Thank you, Matt." -He sat two tables behind you both. Alex was looking at you, thinking about that 'he is, indeed'. -"What?"

"Oh-uh... nothing." -He blushed a little bit and moved his stare to the whiteboard. You pressed your lips trying to hide your smile and did the same.

Alex spent the whole day with you, showing you the school between classes, you also had breakfast with him and his best friends. They were pretty funny, and for the very first time ever, you were having fun and enjoying being at school.

You both agreed on seeing each other outside when the classes finished for today. And there he was waiting for you, leaning on a tree.

"Hello again." -You said smiling.

"Hey!" -He looked at you and smiled too. -"Let's go?" -He asked and noded.

On your way back home, he asked you about how was your first day, if you felt comfortable and who did you meet. He was very interested and you were glad and surprised at the same time, you never met someone so concerned about how you felt.
His house was a bit closer than yours, but he insisted on accompany you to your house.

"Here it is." -You said when you got home. -"Thank you for coming with me, you didn't have to." -You smiled to him.

"Don't worry, I really wanted to." -He laughed softly. -"Ehrrm.. you said you were new here so... what if you give me your phone number  and I don't know... maybe I could show you some nice places." -He scratched the back of his neck. You started to think he did that when he felt a bit nervous. -"If you want to, of course."

"That would be great, yes!" -He smiled. The idea of him showing you places you don't know made you really happy and excited. You grabbed a piece of paper from your notebook and wrote your number on it. He looked at every move you were making. Then you handed it to him. -"There you go."

"Thank you, i'll text you, okay?" -He smiled putting the paper into his pocket and you noded. -"See you, y/n."

"Bye Alex." -You said and approached your door. You looked over to him before entering home, and pressed your lips, trying to hide your smile.

You couldn't wait to get his message.