FIVE

That Thursday, Sophie was feeling very chipper. She had no idea why, but she felt like today was going to be a good day.

She had more free time in Theater class, she actually made something decent in Graphic Design, lunch was delicious, she painted a sunset in art, they walked the track again in Gym, and she'd gotten a one-hundred on her Biology test.

But while she was walking to Study Hall, her day got turned upside down.

And it all started when her feet decided to trip over themselves and caused her to bump right into someone. She ended up landing on top of the person, causing everything to look super awkward.

She did her best to get up and once she had she told the person, "Sorry,"

"It's alright,"

Sophie looked up and saw...

Someone she'd never met before. He had greasy brown hair that was pulled into a tight pony-tail with vibrant blue eyes. But the weird part was he had drool hanging from his lip.

"You're Sophie Foster, right?" The boy asked, staring at her dreamily.

"Uh...yeah," Sophie said, a little grossed out by this dude.

The boy chuckled. "Nice to finally meet you—I'm Valin,"

Sophie found herself inwardly shuddering at this dude. He seemed a little shady—and a bit creepy.

"Okay," Sophie said, realizing she was still holding his hand and quickly pulling it away. "Well, it was nice to meet you too..."

He chuckled again before she walked away, just as Biana joined her.

"So, who's the creep?" She asked with a laugh as they turned down the hallway.

"No idea," Sophie said with another shiver. "He just gives me weird vibes,"

Biana nodded. "Agreed—you know there are two types of weird: The good kind and the bad kind. Our friend group is the good kind, and that dude is the bad kind. What'd he say his name was?"

Sophie crinkled up her nose. "Valin,"

Biana pursed her lips. "No last name?"

Sophie shook her head.

"That's your clue," Biana said, shaking her head with disappointment. "If a boy doesn't give you his last name, there's definitely something fishy going on,"

And Sophie definitely agreed.

Valin No-Last-Name was a bad kind of weird dude.

§§§

"What do you mean Fitz has the flu?" Sophie asked Biana over face-time that afternoon after school.

Biana bit her lip. "Apparently he caught it while he was at that Chess Club thing. My dad took him to the doctor and he had grade B flu. Not terrible but not great either."

Sophie nodded—remembering that he had looking a little pale today. "Alright, well tell him that I hope he feels better, okay?"

Biana nodded. "I'll send him your hugs and kisses!"

Sophie rolled her eyes before hanging up and letting out a loud groan. "Why'd you have to get the flu?" Sophie questioned out loud. "Why couldn't you have gotten it after our date?"

She put her phone on her bedside table before going to her window and finding another message from Keefe. It read: When the sky becomes stormy, just look at the ground—then there's no storm if you don't look back up.