TWENTY-EIGHT

By the next Saturday, Keefe was back to his regular, annoying self. Sophie had also gotten a text from Biana that morning that read:

Hey! We're coming back this afternoon. P.S. I'm going to have a lot of questions for you.

But Sophie honestly didn't freak out that they were coming back. She'd practiced what she would say to Fitz over and over, so she was prepared.

Sophie and Alvar had both decided to meet them at the airport, and the first person she saw Fitz.

His face was emotionless, so Sophie had no idea what to think.

But as the Vacker's walked toward their car, Sophie pulled Fitz over to the side. She was about to start the long monologue she'd come up with, but Fitz said something before her.

"Alvar told me,"

"He did?" She asked as all the words she'd planned disappeared from her mind.

Fitz nodded. "And I get it—Keefe needed help and so you jumped on a plane to help him. I probably would've done the same thing,"

"So...we're okay?"

Fitz laughed. "Of course,"

And Sophie smiled, wondering what she'd done to deserve such a good boyfriend.

§§§

After answering all of Biana's ridiculous questions, they both decided to go visit Keefe.

When they walked into Keefe's room, his face lit up.

"Hey B!" He said, holding up his hand for a high-five.

Biana came over and returned his high-five. "Hey Keefe—how're you feeling?"

Keefe smiled. "Hasn't Foster told you? I'm feeling great—I'm completely better. Though, she refuses to let me leave the house unless it's an emergency—and I'm sworn to do whatever Foster says,"

"Who'd you swear that to?" Sophie asked. "Because it was definitely not me,"

Keefe shrugged before walking over to his desk and pulling out a deck of cards. "Do you guys know how to play Rummy?"

Neither of them knew, so Keefe spent thirty minutes explaining the directions to them. At first it was a little confusing, but Sophie soon got the hang of it.

After three practice rounds, they decided to play a real round.

"I am the king of Rummy," he said as he passed out the cards. "So don't feel too bad if you lose,"

Both Sophie and Biana rolled their eyes before they started to play. Honestly, Sophie had gotten a good hand, and almost every card she got from the pile had a match that was in her hand.

They played the first round for twenty-five minutes, and when it was over they counted up their points.

"I got 125 points," Keefe said, looking very proud of himself.

Biana smirked at Keefe. "Sorry Keefe, but I got 140 points,"

Keefe's mouth fell open, but he looked even more shocked when Sophie said, "Well, I got 195,"

Biana and Sophie gave each other a high-five as Keefe stared on in confusions and horror. "How...?"

Biana laughed. "Guess you're not the king anymore Sencen,"

Keefe blinked. "Fine—the ruler is Queen Foster, but she is accompanied by her king—Keefe Sencen—who has no say in the monarchy whatsoever. How does that sound?"

Biana smiled, shaking her head. "Sorry, Queen Foster already has a king—and his name's King Fitz,"

"That's not fair," Keefe complained . "Fitz hasn't even played Rummy before,"

Biana and Sophie shared a sly looked before Biana called Fitz over, and soon he was in Keefe's room and was playing Rummy.

The game was soon over and everyone counted their scores.

"I got 145," Biana said.

Fitz smiled. "I got 150,"

Keefe smirked at Fitz. "I have 165 points, loser!"

Before Fitz and Keefe could argue, Sophie said, "I got 200,"

"Ha, ha!" Keefe said, pumping his fists in the air. "I am the king that has no say in the monarchy whatsoever!" Then he turned to turned to Fitz. "You can either be the pageboy or the court jester. Your choice,"

But Fitz looked totally confused, and no one bothered to explain it to him.

They talked for a few minutes before Biana brought up the subject of Wylie's secret graduation surprise.

"We really need to start planning it," She said. "Summer will be over before we know it—then he'll be gone,"

"That makes me so sad," Sophie said, her shoulders sagging. "I can't imagine our group without Wylie."

"Yeah," Biana said. "But that's why we have to have this party—so we'll remember it for our whole lives."

"Well I say the sooner it is, the better," Keefe said with a nod. "I say we do it on Wednesday and invite only Wylie's closets friends and family. We have tons of dessert—because Wylie has a sweet tooth—and a few healthy snacks for the weird vegans," He shot a look at Biana, which caused Sophie and Fitz the silently laugh.

"Other than the last part," Biana said with an eye roll. "It's a pretty good idea. I know some decorators and we can have the party at my house,"

The planning went on from there and they'd all probably called twenty people before the day was over. They'd decided that it would be on Wednesday at twelve-thirty at the Vacker's house.

When the planning was over, Biana and Fitz left, but Sophie stayed behind with Keefe to keep him company.

"You don't have to stay," Keefe said , sitting down on his bed.

"I know I don't have to," Sophie said, leaning against the wall. "But I want to," She watched Oakley jump onto Keefe's bed and lay down.

Keefe sighed. "Foster—you do know that I'm going to college next year,"

"Yeah," Sophie answered, even though it wasn't a question.

Keefe opened his mouth, but then shut if over and over before he finally said something that Sophie knew he wasn't going to say before: "I'm just...going to miss you,"

This was the shortest chapter EVER!