TWENTY-NINE

The next few days were very busy planning for Wylie's graduation party. For some reason, the regular groups that worked together had been switched around. So Keefe and Linh went to take care of the food, Dex and Biana were decorating the Vacker's house, Marella, Fitz, and Jensi were passing out invites, and Sophie and Tam were supposed to distract Wylie.

That was going to be fun.

They went to Wylie's house and told him they wanted to hang out with him that afternoon, and thankfully he fell for it.

First, they went to get ice-cream—but had to leave early because that place was where Linh and Keefe were getting the desserts from, then they walked around the park for a few minutes, before going to eat lunch at Taco Bell.

But while they were in the middle of eating, Wylie gave both she and Tam suspicious looks before saying, "I think something up,"

"Huh?" Sophie and Tam said, trying to act clueless.

"Are you two planning something?" He asked, and Sophie cursed his intelligence.

"No..." Sophie said, taking a sip of her drink. "What made you think that?"

Wylie peered at the two of them. "Well, you two don't usually hang out—I mean, you guys talk to each other, but you never go places with each other. Plus, neither of you really hang out with me."

Once again, Sophie hated how right he was. But right now—for the sake of surprise parties—she just had to deny, deny, deny.

But Tam got there before she could.

"What are you talking about?" He asked Wylie. "Sophie and I hang out all the time. The only reason we haven't lately is because she went to Hawaii with the Vacker's,"

Okay, Sophie could never lie that bad. But Tam was rather good at it.

"Then how come no one knows you guys hang out?" Wylie questioned.

"People do know we hang out," Tam said. "You just haven't noticed because, unlike the rest of our friends, you've been a good person and have concentrated on our school work and graduating plans."

"But I still don't—" But Sophie stopped Wylie from saying anything else.

"Why does it matter?" Sophie asked. "We're not planning anything, but if we were and we didn't tell you—that would mean it was a surprise; unless you felt like we were leaving you out. But we would never do that and we aren't planning a surprise, so you have nothing to worry about. Why can't we just have a great afternoon—just hanging out as friends that barely hang-out?"

"But Tam just said that you guys hang out all the time," Wylie pointed out.

"But not lately," Sophie contradicted, even though she had no idea why she was being contradicting. If anyone should've been doing that, it was Wylie.

"Why don't we all go home?" Tam said, grabbing Sophie's arm and dragging her out of the booth they were sitting in. "I think we've had a long day,"

Wylie nodded at them and told them he'd see them later before getting in his truck and driving away.

"That was a disaster," Sophie said, rubbing her temples. "He's onto us,"

"Maybe," Tam said with a shrug as they walked out to his motorcycle. "But he doesn't know what it is, so either way, we still have the high ground."

"You've been watching Star Wars, haven't you?" Sophie asked as they both got on the motorcycle.

Tam nodded. "Yep—a lot of it,"