EIGHT

Honestly, Sophie did not want to go on that date with Fitz when Friday came rolling around. The reason behind her feeling that way was because even though she'd told Fitz she'd go on a date with him first...

Keefe had asked her if she wanted to go to the beach with him yesterday—and sadly she had to decline.

"Why must love be so hard!" Sophie complained in Drama class as they worked on their project.

Their project was to research a ton of information about The Lion King Musical. Mr. T didn't tell them why, but they did it anyway.

Tam groaned. "Why must everyday be a struggle with love for you guys?" He looked around at Linh, Sophie, and Biana. "If I liked someone, I'd just tell them."

"It's not about that," She sighed, laying dramatically on the couch. "It's the total opposite of that,"

Tam looked like she'd confused him—but Linh and Biana weren't confused.

"Do you not like someone that likes you?" Linh asked.

Sophie could feel her cheeks flushing as she tried to hide behind her hair—and try very hard not to look at Biana. "Sort of..." She let out a sigh. "I like them, but I think I like someone else."

Biana nodded her head like she totally understood what Sophie was saying. "I get it. Just take this advice, alright?"

"Okay...?" Sophie was waiting for Biana to say something.

Biana smiled before saying, "Always go for the second person. Because if you really liked the first one, you wouldn't like the second one."

Sophie blinked a couple of times—but thankfully she didn't have to say anything because the bell rang, dismissing them to their next class.

But Sophie took her troubles with her.

And dumped them on Dex throughout their class-time together.

"But what if I tell him, and then he hates me?" She asked, looking at Dex. "I don't want to be hated—I want people to like me,"

Dex blinked at her. "Uh...Sophie, you do know we're in Bio class, right—not a therapy session?"

Sophie groaned. "Yes Dex, I know. I just..." She pouted, laying her head down on the desk. "I don't know what I want anymore,"

Dex sighed, but he didn't got back to his work. Instead he grabbed her hand and squeezed it tightly. "Tell me what I told you a couple of months ago," He told her.

Sophie inclined her head at him. "What'd you tell me?"

Dex rolled his eyes, but a smile was still on his lips. "What did I tell you before we took our EOC's?"

Sophie smiled at the memory. "You told me I was Sophie Freaking Elizabeth Foster." She recited.

Dex nodded, a grin spreading across his face. "That's exactly right—and you've got this. You can do anything you put your mind to Sophie." He told her. "As long as I've known you, you've done things I couldn't even imagine doing."

Sophie tilted her head. "Like what?" She didn't remember doing anything special.

"Well," He said giving her a nudge. "I could never become friends the Vackers on my own. I couldn't pull off an emo-British-angsty-vampire-kid either."

They both laughed at that one.

"I couldn't go to detention with Keefe Sencen—the detention Master Supreme. I also couldn't break my leg because I fell off a fence. I couldn't bring together two rivaling groups for years. I couldn't showdown Stina Heks in the locker-room. And I also couldn't deal with as much angst as you do." He finished with a smile. "Do you understand now?"