NINE

It was now the middle of March. Sophie and Fitz had been going on dates every other Friday and on their last date Fitz had asked Sophie to be his girlfriend.

And she'd said yes!

She was the girlfriend to Fitz Vacker! She should've been so excited. This is what she'd wanted for a long time.

But why did she feel so empty and alone?

Fitz always drove her home now, and she was almost always with him, but she felt like there was something missing. Not from their relationship, but from her life.

Everything was as normal as it had ever been, except...

Keefe never came over, or called her anymore. He didn't even have any window sleepover parties with her.

So before she went to school that morning, she grabbed a sheet of paper and wrote: Hey can we talk? Then she taped it to her window before going downstairs and getting into the car.

"What's this?" Sophie asked, pulling an ugly, green card from her locker after art.

Biana shrugged her shoulders as she opened her locker. "Oh, wait—I have one too." She showed Sophie the ugly card and grimaced. "Who uses chartreuse green anymore for cards."

"Uh, no one...?" Sophie shrugged before opening up the card and reading what it said. "'You're invited to my birthday party on April 27th because I think you're super cool.'"

"Who's it from?" Biana asked, flicking the card back in her locker.

Sophie scanned the card for any sort of signature before she found a name in the corner of the card.

And it made her want to puke.

"Nope!" She said, ripping up the card and letting the pieces fall around her. "There is no way I'm going to that persons party."

"Who is it?" Biana pressed, staring down at the torn paper.

Sophie shuddered before saying, "Valin,"

Biana blinked a couple of times before bursting into a laughing fit. "I can't believe it! He asked us to go to his birthday party?"

Sophie bit her lip. "Biana, we may not like the kid, but you don't have to sound so snobbish about it,"

Biana's face went pink, but she still had a smile on her face. "Sorry, it's the Vacker in me." She looked at her own card and shrugged. "Maybe we should go,"

"Are you insane?" Sophie asked, grabbing her stuff and shutting her locker. "That guy creeps me out. Plus, I'm pretty sure his hands have drool all over them, and his house probably will too. And that is disgusting."

Biana looked a little green, but still shrugged her shoulders. "Now looks who sounds snobbish." She got her stuff and shut her locker as they walked to study hall. "But anyway—that's my whole point. If we go, no one can think we're snobbish, so it's like a win-win."

Sophie sighed as they turned down another hallway. "Fine—I'll go. But I want you to bring plenty of hand sanitizer when we do."

Biana nodded. "And you bring the baby wipes,"

"Deal," Sophie said, before they walked through the study hall classroom.

§§§