Winter Ball. Part 1.

For @TheDevilsChochip who was there (alomst) from the start! Thanks, Sarah xx

*

The butterflies in my stomach fluttered wildly as I took in my reflection for the third time in as many minutes. Seeing myself in a dress- and a pink one at that- was weird, but at the same time I couldn’t help but feel beautiful. I had never felt pretty in my life, especially when I compared myself to my twin, Eden, but Matt changed all that for me.

My dress fitted perfectly. It had been the first dress that I had tried, and it had been the last. As soon as I saw it, I knew that it was the dress. I had black detailing around the bust that then flowed into a pink skirt with a train and bow detail on the back. I wasn’t a fan of pink or bows, but this dress had been the exception. When I slipped into it, the dress hugged my curves perfectly and made me feel glamorous, giving me the confidence boost I needed.

My now short brown hair had been pulled back from my face and styled into a chic chignon that reminded me instantly of Grace Kelly. I felt a little naked without my hair covering my face, but the stylist at Anthony Pierce assured me that I would feel like a Princess with my hair up. Seeing how well the hair complemented the dress, I had to agree. I felt beautiful.

My make-up was minimal. My mom had tried to get me to go with her smokey eye effect idea, but I had stood my ground and opted for something more natural. I wore a thin layer of foundation and hid any blemishes under concealer, brushed on some pink eye shadow and mascara, and glossed my lips.

I was slightly worried about the heels I wore, and was paranoid that I was going to trip and break a leg, but the more I paced the room, the less concerned I became. Instead, the nerves of finally coming face to face with Matt took over and I began to panic.

Twisting the sliver and pink tourmaline bracelet Matt bought for our three month anniversary, my mind was a whirl of thoughts.

Will he like me?

Will he still love me when he realizes how much of a disappointment I am to him? I mean, he fell in love with the idea of me once before, what if this was history repeating itself and he’s just fallen in love with another idea of me, but not the actual me?

What if he’s just like all the other guys and got close to me just to get to Eden? Is this all a trick? A game?

“Shut up, Anah,” I grumble to myself, trying to get rid of the niggling doubts. “He likes you.”

The simple truth is that Matt loves me. God knows why. I’m not the type of girl guy’s throw themselves at and I’ve been told that I’m ‘quirky,’ which is obviously another word for ‘strange.’ Why would someone like Matt fall for me? Somewhere in the back of my mind that question lingers, but I know better than to ask Matt about it. I know he’ll just turn the question on to me.

‘Why do you like me, Anah?’

My answer would be simple- because you make my life complete. Without Matt, I feel like there’s a part of me missing. I never thought it was possible to fall so in love with someone that deeply but here I was, too far in love to ever remember how life was before him. Before Matt. All I know is that every morning I wake up smiling because of him and I go to bed with his name the last on my lips. Matt consumed me, and that’s why I fell for him. It was unavoidable.