Second place

Here's our second place One Shot Winner.

*

“I can’t believe you talked me into this, Sutter,” Maggie Taylor huffed as I sat her down on the bed. Her head lolled to one side and she gave me a lopsided smile. “You know, at this angle, I can see how Anah would fall for you. Not that she knows who you are, of course.”

“Cut the bullshit, Maggie,” I snap at her. I start pacing the bedroom, my hands clasped in a prayer position in front of me. I groan and turn back to Maggie. “How much does she know?”

“How much does who know?” Maggie giggles.

“Anah!” I shout. I hated drunk people when I was sober. “You said that Anah knew that I’m Matt.”

“Well, you are Matt,” Maggie narrows her eyes at me and glares. “You are Matt Sutter.”

“Yes,” I try to remain calm but I know that I’m failing miserably. “I am Matt Sutter. But she didn’t know that the Matt she was messaging was Sutter. So how does she know that I’m him? Or that he’s me?”

“You talk too much, Sutter,” Maggie drawls out as she throws herself back onto the bed and starts to cocoon herself in the comforter. “And why are you shouty talking?”

“I am not shouting,” I tell her. “You’re drunk and just think I’m shouting.”

Ok. That’s a lie. I’m definitely shouting. But excuse me for being pissed that Anah knows who I am.

“This wasn’t how it was meant to go,” I say quietly as I go to lie next to Maggie on the bed.

“How was it meant to go?” She asks, blowing her hair from her face.

“Differently,” I offer as an answer. “I was meant to woo her.”

“You can still woo her, Sutter,” Maggie giggles. “Who the hell says ‘woo’ these days, anyway?”

“I say it,” I defend myself.

“You don’t need to woo her,” Maggie hiccups. “She really likes you, Sutter.”

“She likes Matt,” I point out. “Matt. Not Sutter.”

“I don’t understand.”

“You’re too drunk to understand,” I smile at her. She doesn’t disagree with me, but she does poke out her tongue at me. “Why did you agree to go out with me?”

“Because Anah made me,” Maggie shrugs. “She wanted me to be her horse.”

“Her horse?” I scoff. “Jesus, Magdalena. How much did you drink?”

“What the hell did you just call me?” She tries to untangle herself from the comforter, but all she manages to do is roll herself off the bed. “Do not ever, under any circumstances, call me that name again.”

“Ok, Magdalena,” I smirk. “Just as soon as you explain to me what kind of horse you are.”

“The Brad Pitt movie kind of horse.”

I roll my eyes. “You’re drunk.”

“No, I’m Trojan.”

“Really drunk,” I say.

“She sent me to get the dirt on you,” Maggie says as she gets to her feet. She comes back to lie on the bed and places her head on my chest. “She wanted me to see what type of person you are. You know- are you Matt or are you Sutter.”

“Oh,” I nod as I wrap around a shivering Maggie. “And what’s the verdict?”

“You’re…” She goes quiet. “I don’t know. But I’ll tell her you give really good hugs.”

I laugh. “That’s my only redeeming quality? I give really good hugs?”

“That,” Maggie nods into my chest, her make up staining my t-shirt. “And the fact that you love her. You could be… you could be Slater Blakeman and Anah would still love you.”

“Slater Blakeman, huh?” I laugh. “That’s a compliment.”

Slater Blakeman was our school’s biggest jerk. We’re pretty sure he’s a sociopath, or a psychopath… or schizophrenic. Everyone tended to avoid him if possible.

“Yeah, but do you wanna know what’s better than that compliment?” Maggie asks in a sleepy whisper.

“What, Magdalena?” I tease her.

She punches me.

“You give really good hugs,” she yawns. “Don’t tell Anah that I told you. She’ll Krav Maga my ass. And my ass is my best feature. Don’t look at my ass, or I’ll have to tell Anah you were checking me out and you lose brownie points.”

I would never dram of looking at your ass,” I tell her honestly. Although I knew a few hundred people who would love to look at it. Apparently it’s a work of art. “I like you, Magdalena. But I love Anah more.”

“You’re so lovely, Matt,” she smiles. “Or do I call you Sutter? I’m confused about your name now.”

“Uh, call me Sutter,” I tell her. “I kinda like it that Anah’s the only one who calls me Matt.”

“Ok,” Maggie sighs. “Hey, tell me one thing, Sutter. You love Anah?”

“Very much.”

*

And the first place One Shot winner?

On to the next update to find out! Sarah, xx

p.s. Happy New Year from Wales!