Winter Ball. Part 2.

For @LongLiveTheMagic who guessed Matt's real identity three weeks ago. Sorry I couldn't confirm it! Sarah, xx

*

I wiped away a tear that snaked down my cheek. When had I started crying?

The car turned off the main road and started snaking its way up the driveway of Aylesbury House. It was an imposing historical red brick building that had a long drive leading up to the front of the main house. There was a line of cars ahead of me, and I watched as one couple after another exited their cars, climbed the steps and entered the building. The theme for Winter Ball was White and Blue Winterland, which would explain the line of white trees illuminated by tiny blue lights on each step. White string curtains covering the entryway glistened as the light from inside Aylesbury House lit them up, creating a magical feel to the evening.

The car came to a stop at the icy blue carpet that led up towards the entrance. I replaced the tear stained letter into its envelope and double checked my makeup in the mirror, thanking God that my mascara hadn’t run.

The driver opened the door for me and as I took in a deep breathe I knew one thing for sure. It’s now or never.

“Here goes,” I whisper to myself with a shaky voice.

I slowly make my way up the carpet, climb the few steps and head towards the door. All the time, keeping my eyes on the ground, too scared to look up. The butterflies in my stomach had returned ten-fold and the knot that had started to tie there was tightening with each second. I took in a deep breath and told myself that it was all going to be ok in the end.

 I come to an abrupt stop when I sense someone moving forwards, blocking my path into the house.

Matt.

Shiny black shoes were the first thing I saw.

Then the slim fit black formal trousers, leading up to a waistcoat with the buttons done up. A crisp white cotton shirt fitted perfectly across a flat torso. Matt wore a black bow tie and a tailored jacket that hung from his broad shoulders impeccably. He even wore a white silk pocket square.

God, he knew how to fill a suit.

Eventually, my eyes, braver than I felt, moved upwards to Matt’s face.

The first thing I noticed was his smile. He promised me that he would be wearing a huge smile and he was. Then I noticed the angles of his face, strong and sharp, before moving upwards towards his light brown hair that messily framed his face. Then I allowed my eyes to fall on his and I was met with perfect blue eyes, shining with excitement.

I knew who they belonged to instantly. They had been the ones I had obsessed over for years. The one that I would recognize in a sea of blue eyes.

“Sutter?”