Number 40

Want a teddy bear Diego? Here you go!

After a small meal at the diner, we all headed back to the academy. We were only supposed to stay at the academy for the duration for the funeral, and yet, days, weeks...maybe a month or so, we were still here. So much had happened, I had lost track of what day it was. But that wasn't my main concern right now.

Diego pushed the doors open, revealing the large foyer of the academy, mom and Pogo came out from the sitting room into the foyer to great us.

"My god, you are all safe!" Pogo exclaimed, relief on his chimp face.

"We may be safe...but I need mom to do an examination on Lexi" Diego told him.

"What happened?" Pogo asked.

"We were taken by some guy who know the old man, he had his own way of giving gifts to people, extracting from another and placing it in another, but for this, they extracted Lorna's power somehow, into Lexi...but she hasn't shown any signs of new powers" Diego explained.

Oh, I wish he knew, but I had to understand it myself.

"Wait, if you don't mind me asking, who is Lorna?" Pogo asked.

All heads turned to the girl in the back, she looked shy, or just exhausted from everything she had gone through.

"Grace, why don't you show Lorna to one of the bathrooms, get her some fresh clothes and some actual food and drink in her, no doubt she was probably force fed through a tube or given some sort of gruel" Pogo instructed Grace politely.

"Of course, Lorna, would you like to come with me?" Grace asked the green haired pale girl.

"It's okay" Allison assured her "Mom, or Grace is one of the gentlest women you will ever meet" she told her. Lorna looked at her before heading joining Grace in the path of the bathroom.

"Everyone should get freshened up, and I will examine Lexi" Pogo said.

"No" I told them.

"It might be wise- "I cut Pogo off.

"No, I have been experimented on and examined enough this week, I just want a bath and then to sleep it off, please, just no more" I sighed exhausted, removing myself from Diego's grip and heading up the stairs.

"The bath is a good choice" The voice broke through again. Shaking the voice away, I walked to the bathroom I usually used for myself, closing the door behind me, I walked to the wall, sinking against it, to the floor, clutching my legs, hiding my head into my legs. Exhaustion clouding over me as I just broke down.

I was tired. Hungry. In pain physically, emotionally and mentally. Something was wrong with me, but I couldn't say anything, because I knew how it would end, more experiments, just like we were kids, just like a few hours ago.

I couldn't stop the tears from falling, the weird sounds you would make when you were crying and trying to catch your breath, that's how I felt right now.

"Baby" The soft voice broke through the bathroom door. Diego, of course. I flicked my hand out, causing a red glow wrap around the handle of the door, turning the handle and opening the door. As soon as Diego saw my on the ground, he rushed over to me, pulled me into his body, the tears started up again. "It's okay, let it all out" He whispered, wiping the tears from my face. "I'm going to do everything I can to help you, make you feel better. You want anything, I will get it for you" he assured me.

After a few minutes I stopped crying, before letting out a sigh of relief, silence filling the room, aside from the sound of dripping from somewhere.