Number 45

Someone want a bit of Ben? Or Five? Read on! Edit, I have also edited the end of the chapter.

Diego just stared at me. Like I had said something stupid. Did I?

"Wait...you wanna do what?" He asked me in confusion.

"I want to find my birth mother...is it a bad idea?" I asked him.

"Yes! Of course, it is!" His sudden outburst made me jump a little, not at all in fear, just shock.

"Why?" I asked him again.

"Isn't it obvious? She gave you up, for money, handed you over to that monster...she could have given you a better life" he informed me.

"Diego. If you were a woman, who suddenly discovered that she was nine months pregnant and in labour, and a second ago she had a flat stomach...how would you react?" I asked him.

"I thought you were against adoption and abortion?" he asked crossing his arms across his chest. I took a deep breath to calm myself. I didn't want to go on a full rant.

"I have some reservations about it, I'm more for adoption than abortion you know that" I informed him. "And this case is a little different don't you think?"

"How? Tell me how?"

"Because for one, she could have been a virgin for all we knew, or that she wasn't sexually active with her partner. And to just discover you are in labour about to give life to a human being you never knew you had...we don't know what her life was like, which is why I want to find out" I explained to him.

"Why now? I mean you could have done this years ago"

"Because from what I remember, years ago, I was single, I didn't have you by my side doing this" Getting off the bar stool, I sighed. "We are getting married Diego, and one day, I hope, we will become parents. And don't worry, we are going to be better parents than the old man, and our birth mothers, but..." I sighed "I don't know okay, now that we are getting married, and kids are a step closer, I feel like finding my mother is closure to me. Knowing that I will be a mother, but I don't know my own, it's a door I want to open, and then close, at least I will have some sort of closure in my life, because our lives just seem to be filled with mystery, questions but no answers"

Diego looked at me, I could tell he was hiding something, his true feelings about this.

"The old man never told us anything, Grace didn't either because she didn't know anything. All she knew was that the old man was our...father...and Grace was a mother figure"

"Isn't Grace enough for you?" Diego asked. I looked at him taken aback from his words.

"She isn't my mom, Diego, she may have been the mother figure we all needed, but look at how the old man treated her" I sighed rubbing my face. "I need closure, to be able to move on, not think about it all the time, and when our kids ask who their grandparents were. My father is unknown, and my mother is from somewhere, I want to fill in the blanks for my mother"

"So, you wouldn't tell them, Reginald was their grandfather?" he asked curious.

"Of course not! He wasn't our father, he was a man who paid for children, who he somehow knew they had gifts, raised them to be superheroes, when we just wanted a normal child hood" I sighed. "I just want to do this Diego, go back to my past and move on from it"

"And what happens after that? Are you going to approach her about it? Or just see her face and then leave?"

"Diego, I don't know okay?"

"You haven't thought this through! This idea of yours is- "

"Is what Diego? I get why you are so against it, but I can see you are holding back, what is your real problem behind this?" I asked crossing her arms. "Don't make me use my new power, find out what you're really thinking"