😪

So, today I recieved a apparent non hateful message from a reader on Archive of our Own.

Calling me childish etc for copyrighting my character, Lexi

And I will say again. I have only copyrighted my character, so that people cannot take her and make a profit from her, which is how this whole thing erupted anyway.

Some dude made an app, which mimicked Ao3. It took everyone's creations and placed them on his app, which included subscriptions, which meant he profited from people's fanfictions.

As a fanfic writer, I cannot make a profit, mainly due to, such as the Umbrella Academy being copyrighted, that is why I cannot make a profit. 

So, after that whole of taking my fanfics and making his own profit from it, he lost the battle, and that's when I decided to copy right Lexi, Lexi alone

It has taken many, many years, probably...nearly 10 years since I created her, moulded her, shaped her to fit my stories. It takes time and brain cells to make sure she fits into that new world. 

Lexi is copyrighted alone. Not her face claim, just the character, because she belongs to me. And for someone to take her and my own storylines, my hard work and make a profit from it, that's a no go.

And to receive this non hateful message this morning, it's really shut my confidence down in writing.

Umbrella Academy for sure, is copyrighted so we cannot make a profit, but our own original characters, are not copyrighted because they are just made up. But for someone like me, who has taken nearly 10 years with Lexi, and for someone to steal my fanfic and make a profit where I cannot, it's wrong. 

In response to that message, I did write a lengthy message, but then I thought no, because I knew it would be an ongoing battle. So, in response, I literally put *yawning face emoji*

Copyrighting Lexi was my idea, she belongs to me, her behaviour, her creation, everything. I even have a length roleplay page for her, from the moment her parents met, from until she found someone, it's a story. My story of my girl. A girl I created from scratch. 

This comment this person stated, was hurtful, and hateful and damn right nasty. And I will state again. My original character, Lexi, who I use in all my fanfics, is copyrighted to avoid people making a profit. 

SHE IS COPYRIGHTED SO NO ONE CAN MAKE A PROFIT FROM HER, AS I CANNOT WHEN I WRITE FANFICTION AND MAKE A PROFIT. SO NO ONE CAN TAKE HER AND MY STORYLINES AND USE THEM AND MAKE MONEY FROM IT. 

Rant over!

But this has really hurt me today, and has made me rethink...am I worth to carry on? Is there any point in writing anymore when someone writes something as hateful as that? I don't know. So, it's really lowered my confidence in writing, because now I am scared if I continue to write. This user or other users will continue writing hateful comments like this.

So, my question to you and myself...am I worth on carrying on writing? Am I worth it. Is my creation worth it?

I love writing, but stuff like this, really hurts. And makes me reconsider if I am a good writer?