Chapter Two

Florence wandered out of the Homestead with the three boys. The sky was growing dark but there was a large flicker of light around which crowds of Gladers were sat.

Minho sidled over to Florence, bumping his shoulder against hers. "You ready for this bonfire princess?"

"I'm never going to escape that nickname am I?" Florence asked him, and she saw his head shake furiously. She wouldn't let Minho know, but that was completely fine with her.

"You love it really, princess." Shaking her head to argue, she let a smile take over her face, feeling happy for the first time since she woke up. Minho slung his arm around her shoulder as he moved through the crowds and stood directly in front of the fire.

"Gally! Give us some of that stuff!" Minho shouted across the fire to Gally, who had in his hand a cloudy glass bottle of a clear-yellowy liquid.

Florence watched suspiciously as Minho took the bottle from Gally, tipping his head back and swigging from it, his hand dropping from her shoulder.

He visibly cringed whilst swallowing the drink, but let out a large laugh once done, looking to Florence for her reaction. She raised an eyebrow unamused, and Minho held out the bottle to her, giving her puppy eyes.

"Go on princess. Just one sip." She felt a surge of adrenaline, and snatched the bottle from his hands. Looking about the crowds, she felt the eyes on her, but it only spurred her on.

"Go on Greenbean!" Newt yelled, letting out a laugh. She looked to him, raising the bottle to her lips and taking an overconfident sip.

The liquid burned her throat, but she fought the urge to gag as she swallowed it. Letting out a cough after swallowing it, she shoved the bottle back into Minho's hands, pouting.

"That is awful." This only earned another laugh from Minho as he passed the bottle back to Gally, who was smiling surprisingly. He saluted to the girl who shook her head mock disapprovingly.

"Alright Gladers! Listen up!" Alby's voice suddenly boomed, clearer than any others. Silence fell among the group and Florence sat down beside Newt on a bench in front of the fire.

"Obviously we have a new Greenie today. Her name is Florence." Alby strolled around the fire, nodding towards her at the mention of her name. "If any of you shanks try anything - and I mean anything - you will be Banished."

Florence had no idea what being 'Banished' meant. However, from the looks of the Gladers, it wasn't hard to tell that it was not a good thing.

"Anyway. Gally give me some of that." Alby reached for Gally's bottle, to the cheers of the other Gladers who watched on in awe. It wasn't often that Alby would let loose and have fun like that, but the arrival of Florence had reminded him that not everything had to be the same all the time.

"Oh, hey Florence! You need to carve your name!" Frypan had caught the girl at a good time, and at her permission, he grabbed her wrist and dragged her over to one of the walls.

The flicker of the flames close by allowed Florence to see some of the names carved into the stone; Minho, Alby, Newt, Gally.

And then she caught a few of the names that had been scratched out; George, Nick, Stephan. She drew her eyes away from them, not wanting to think about those who had presumably died.

Taking the knife from Frypan's outstretched hand, Florence found a gap in the group of names, and began to carve out her own.

"You should've carved your real name, princess. Ya know, since it's actually princess." A charming voice purred from beside her, startling Florence, as she looked up to see Minho lounging with his back pressed against the wall.