Chapter Thirty Four

Florence had her eyes firmly shut. She knew if she opened them; her heart would begin racing, her mouth would go dry, and she would become dizzy. 

From her days of running the Maze and taking her breaks at the top of sixty foot tall platforms, she had come to realise she was rather scared of heights.

That's why their position of hanging on a rope by the ankles, suspended in the air with god knows how far down a drop, was easily terrifying for her. Her body was already trembling, shivering at the thought of falling from their height.

"Good plan, Thomas. 'Just hear what the man has to say.' Really working out for us." Minho commented sarcastically, and Florence would've laughed hadn't she had been terrified.

"Shut up, Minho." He replied, rolling his eyes. He began to strain to lift his hands up to his ankle, speculating between panting breaths, "Maybe I can reach the rope."

At the sound of struggle, Florence risked opening her eyes, narrowly avoiding the view beneath her to look at her ridiculous brother. He grunted a few times, swiping his hands to try and grab the robe.

"Stop it Thomas, you're stressing me out." She scolded him, earning yet another eye roll, but he stopped anyway.

"Enjoying the view?" A voice came from the distance, Florence focusing her vision straight ahead, to where Jorge was emerging from the darkness. Instantly angry about the predicament he had put them in, she called out to him,

"What the hell do you want?"

"That is the question." He stopped just in front of them all, his feet dangerously close to the edge they were dangling down over.

"My men want to sell you back to WCKD. Life has taught them to think small. I'm not like that. Something tells me that you're not either."

"Is the blood rushing to my head or is this shank not making any sense?"

Jorge chose to ignore Minho's question, looking to Thomas and demanding, "Tell me what you know about the Right Arm."

"I thought you said they were ghosts." Newt retorted, taking his attention. However he only smirked, and Florence was starting to realise how interesting of a man he really was.

"I happen to believe in ghosts. Especially when I hear them chattering on the airwaves." He moved over to a black lever, and the girl's eyes widened in realising that it was in control of whether they were sent plummeting to the ground. He clasped his hand around it threateningly. "You tell me what you know, and maybe we can make a deal."

"We don't know much." Thomas explained, and Florence felt uneasy as Jorge only stared back at him. Then suddenly, his hand lurched forwards on the lever, and their rope was loosened about a foot, dropping them the same distance.

They all let out yelps of terror, and Florence's eyes squeezed shut again, feeling a wave of panic threatening to take control of her. "Thomas just tell them!" She yelled desperately, still not opening her eyes out of fear, but she also didn't want to see Jorge's scrutinizing eyes judging her.

"You might want to tell me, Thomas, since your friend here looks like she's about to faint from terror."

He's not wrong.

"Okay, all right! They're hiding in the mountains, and they attacked WCKD. They got out a bunch of kids. That's it. That's all we know."

Just as Jorge was about to respond, another voice sounded from behind him, and their secretive conversation was interrupted.

"Yo, Jorge. What's going on?"

"Me and my new friends were just getting acquainted." He cast a quick glance back to them all, a sparkle in his eyes. "We're done now."