Chapter Thirty Seven

Before Thomas had the chance to explain anything further, a swarm of helicopters had swarmed in over the camp, the one at the forefront sending a bomb directly towards them.

Florence felt her legs threaten to give way as the bomb made contact with the ground and shook the surrounding area for what felt like miles. A mushroom of smoke billowed up into the atmosphere; red and orange and brown, sending sparks through the air.

And then another.

And another.

Florence could hear people screaming, scattering to desperately try and find some safety in the warzone. There was no use. They were at the mercy of WCKD, with no escape.

But she still moved. 

To find her friends. If this was going to be it, she needed to be with them.

As she darted through the camp in search of them all, she could see the soldiers dropping in from helicopters, armed with guns to capture them. It hit her then, hard.

They were looking for them specifically.

She watched wide-eyed as the soldiers began shooting members of the Right Arm, not dead, but with the same taser guns back in the WCKD facility. 

So they can capture us without killing us.

Hearing Vince's desperate shouts to Harriet, Florence was drawn towards them and the stationary car stood in the midst of the chaos. And besides it, she had found Minho, Newt and Frypan. She raced over, ducking the shots fired at her, almost slamming into the car at highspeed.

"Thank god I found you guys." She breathed out, gratefully looking over her friends who greeted her with the same thankfulness. As much as she wanted to hug them all, it wasn't the best timing. However, Minho exhaled in relief, drawing his arm around her and tugging her to his side, closer to the car. 

"How can we help?" He called up to Vince who was standing at the back of the car with a machine gun that Harriet was constantly loading up.

"You need to cover us!" was what was yelled back at them.

"Hey. Do you know how to use this thing?" A gun was pressed into Florence's hands and although nerves were now lodged in her throat, she had a rough idea, and so she nodded.

Alongside her friends, she held a gun in her hands and began to fire away at the WCKD soldiers firing right back at them. She stood close to Newt's side, cocking her gun again and watching as his shot hit a soldier down easily.

"Shit, Newt." She muttered in awe, briefly stealing his attention and seeing the ghost of a smile pass across his face.

As they continued to shoot, it quickly dawned on them that it was a wildly unfair fight. WCKD overpowered them by miles and were taking over the camp, slowly but surely closing in on them.

"I'm out!" Frypan yelled, chucking his gun down into the back of the car in defeat. Florence glanced to him, and then back to the battlefield, pulling her trigger and realising that she too was out of ammo.

"Look out!" Vince's yell came too late.

One of the WCKD soldiers had thrown a bomb into the car and as it exploded, Florence felt every inch of her being lit up with pain. She slumped to the ground, the blue bolts of electricity from the taser bomb temporarily paralysing her. She felt herself gasping for breath, her vision threatening to black out.

Is this it?

She found herself wondering if it was all going to be over. And then, a rough pair of hands had hauled her up from the ground and she knew she had fallen back into WCKD's grasp.