Chapter Thirty Eight

Six months later...

"They're late." Jorge muttered, glancing down at his pocket watch. Florence bit her lip anxiously, leaning forwards between the seats of the car.

She, Jorge and Brenda were waiting in their position like planned, the heat of the desert reaching Florence's face and causing sweat to already collect along her forehead. Or maybe her nerves were the cause.

Brenda checked her own watch before resting her arm up on the roof of the car. It was sat on a mound in the rocky desert, surrounded by dry bushes and the sound of crickets. Humidity was causing the horizon in the distance to haze.

Silence fell.

And then suddenly, in the distance, came the blare of a train.

Florence's head shot to the left, catching sight of it, and then she flattened herself against the backseat of Jorge's car. He revved the engine, and they were sent roaring off into action, down towards the train tracks.

Their plan had been in the works for six long months, and they were finally carrying it out. 

Florence's heart thudded in her chest, her stomach filled with nerves, as she looked out at the racing train they were now driving alongside. To think Minho was in there, so close to her after so much time apart was so surreal to think about.

It was torture without him. Everything was less happy, less jokey, less anything remotely positive.

Jorge clenched his jaw in concentration, speeding up, driving the car forwards past the line of train carriages and right towards the side of the engine of the train. Florence glanced at the people inside, who were looking right back at them, and felt a mischievous grin growing on her lips at the confusion on their faces.

From the other side of the tracks was another car. Inside was Thomas and Vince, heading directly towards the train, to carry out their part of the plan. Although they were a little late, their plan was currently going smoothly. But Florence couldn't help but feel nervous at the fact there was so much riding on it.

"Brenda, we're coming up behind. Keep 'em busy." Thomas's voice came crackly through the walky-talky Brenda held in her palm.

Brenda stood up on her seat in the front, holding a gun in her hands and pointing it directly at the train. Taking her lead, Florence followed, wobbling a little but quickly gaining her bearings. With the six months of preparation leading up to this moment, Florence had some time to practice her aim. Brenda was a great help; the girl never missed a shot.

And of course, Florence was different now. Having Minho gone for that long, she was so much more quiet, always disconnected from everyone and everything. She couldn't remember the last time she had really smiled. She just felt empty.

She couldn't take her mind of the thought of Minho with WCKD. Thinking of him being helplessly tortured for hours on end, day after day, and she couldn't do anything to help, just hurt far too much. Yet it was all her mind would let her think of.

She didn't even flinch in shooting once at the train, not thinking about who may be on there or who may get hurt. They were rescuing Minho. For her, the options were to save him or die trying.

The days back in the Glade with the girl so adamantly against violence were gone. This was the new her, and honestly, she kinda liked it.

She settled back down in her seat, revelling in the laughter that bounced around the car. But just as they began to relax, gunshots came from the train towards them. Florence sunk down in her seat, making sure she was lower than the line of fire. Her heart thumped out of her chest with every shot.