Chapter Thirteen

"Get up." 

Minho spoke directly into the girl's ear. His breath on her skin made the hairs on the back of her neck stand up, and his voice was too loud in her ear so she reached out to push him away. She reached his cheek somehow, her eyes still closed and longing sleep, and gently moved it away from her face muttering about needing five more minutes. 

She did need five more minutes. Between her nightmare and her trip to the kitchen, she didn't get much more than a couple of hours of sleep. How was she supposed to run the Maze today?

But there was no excuse apparently.

Minho was in the exact same position, except he was already dressed, had eaten, and had all of his things ready to take off into the Maze. Florence envied him for this. It was incredibly unfair how much of a morning person he was.

"Get out of bed you lazy shank." He murmured, not entirely intending for the girl to hear him. She immediately snapped upright, met by a guilty glance from the boy who tried to not crack up in laughter.

"Don't call me a shank." She used her pillow to whack him before pushing herself out of bed. 

She got dressed moodily, using her silence as a way of proclaiming that she had no energy to run the Maze today. However there was no point in this, as Minho was busy staring out the window and making running commentary on how Ben was walking to the Homestead.

"See you out there!" He called, eventually getting bored of waiting, winking cheekily before leaving the room.

Once ready, Florence left the room and came across Chuck who was sweeping the corridor her room laid in. She greeted him with a wide smile and stopped as he waved enthusiastically at her.

"Hey, Chuck." Her voice came off a lot more monotone and drained than she intended.

"Florence! Woah, you look exhausted. Are you okay?"

She frowned a little, and forced away a yawn that attempted to come over her. She flashed him another smile before sighing; there was no point lying to him.

"I'm so tired Chuck. I only had about three hours of sleep last night because I had a bad dream then I got up to go to the kitchen and eat Frypan's food, then I had to wake up early because I'm running the Maze today."

She spoke all in one breath, hurriedly and Chuck looked like he was having a hard time digesting everything she was saying.

"Sounds like you probably need a bite to eat." was what he decided on saying in reply, and it was a safe answer. Agreeing with the younger boy, she moved past him before realising something,

"Wait Chuck, you're a Slopper?" She felt a little bad that she hadn't taken the time to see how he was settling in, but in her defence, she had been having a busy time since he had arrived.

The boy beamed back at her, his curls bouncing up and down as he nodded his head to say yes. "I think I'm pretty good at it."

She couldn't help but let his happiness infect her face and she smiled again, feeling a little more awake. His energy was influencing her to feel a lot more upbeat.

"I'm happy for you Chuck. Oh actually, there's a bunch of clothes I need washing-" Rolling his eyes he shunned her from the corridor, refusing to listen to her requests.

"Go, eat!"

In the food hall, she found an equally as tired Ben eating his food gratefully, who thankfully managed to wake himself up enough to lecture Florence again about the fact she should be dating Minho already.