Chapter Forty Five

Fitting into the WCKD uniform was the hardest part of the plan as of yet. Being small, Florence's suit was a little baggy, but she was forced to make it work as best as she could as she joined Thomas in marching Teresa directly into the WCKD building.

She straightened herself up to become 'guard-like' or whatever she was supposed to look like, one hand on the gun she held close to her, and the other just hovering by Teresa's arm as if she was going to make a run for it any second. Countless numbers of guards were milling about the place, but Florence kept her focus on the plan, not wanting to think about the other people acknowledging her existence and possibly questioning why she was there. 

Newt met them in the middle of the corridor, wearing almost the exact same uniform but in red instead of black, and nodded them towards the right, down a set of stairs into the basement level of the building. Through a glass screen to their left, another guard was walking besides them; Gally.

Smoothly, he swooped in to their formation; walking ahead of Teresa and leading them all into a stairwell. Thomas and Newt walked either side of the girl whilst Florence kept up the back of the group. When they reached the stairwell that Teresa unlocked, they were able to relax a little more.

They checked the area first for people, before moving towards the stairwell and beginning to head downwards. Only when Gally hung back, saying, "Hold on, hold on." did they take a break.

The boy had placed either one of his hands on the electrical wiring boxes attached to the wall, and then pulled them away, nodding promptly. "I can get in here." He declared.

Pulling down his mask, he took another look at the boxes, inspecting it carefully. Florence jogged back up the stairs and leant back against the stairwell bannister as Gally threw the walky-talky to her brother.

Thomas continued down the stairs, scouring ahead to check they were still alone. Teresa sat down on a step, her eyes fixated on Newt. Newt pulled up his own mask, hand leant against a bannister for support as he began to cough and splutter.

Florence looked to her friend, catching sight of his pale and sweaty face, seeing the life slowly drain out of him. The Flare was really beginning to take a toll. 

We don't have time for all of this.

Gally began to drill into one of the electrics boxes, as Newt turned away from Teresa's curious eye, panting to catch his breath back. Florence moved towards him, nudging his arm with hers comfortingly as she leant towards him.

"Are you okay?" She pretty much knew the answer, but there was no harm in asking.

"I'm managing," He just got out, between pants.

"Frypan, we're in. How you doing?" 

Thomas caught her attention as he took the stairs back up to them two-by-two, moving over towards the door they had arrived through, to check for any real guards or WCKD workers. A crackly voice came back through the walky-talky.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm getting there." He sounded exhausted, from climbing the crane of course, but still enthusiastic.

You could rely on Fry for that, always.

"Tell Minho 'hi,' for me." 

This made a smile invade Florence's face. It was really setting in now too. She is actually going to see him again.

"Hang in there, buddy." 

Gally yanked the electrics box open; a number of colourful wires and strange parts of machinery strung up inside that he somehow knew how to use. Pulling on a tab so he could read it properly, he announced, "This'll work."