Chapter Twenty Eight

Florence's eyes flew open, immediately filling with tears at the realisation of what she had remembered. And then, all she felt was frustration.

She didn't know her memory was going to be wiped when she went into the Maze.

"So you should've had five to six distinct memories and a brief recollection of your life as well. I know some things will still be a little hazy, and there'll still be gaps in your memory but that's normal. The procedure isn't completely perfect yet."

The doctor was chattering away already but Florence was barely listening. She didn't hear a single word that was being said to her.

"We also ran a few tests, the results were a little unexpected..."

Was that it?

It was a lot, but at the same time, it felt like nothing.

She learnt that she was taken to WCKD from a young age, her first friend was Newt, her first love was Minho, and that she was supposed to go to Maze B - whatever that was. The fact there was more than one Maze was the thing that took her interest the most.

I need to talk to the boys.

She lifted herself from the seat, unable to hide her more than impatient expression. The doctor raised an eyebrow, clearly unimpressed by her lack of respect towards her.

"May I leave?" There was a serious undertone of passive aggressiveness in the otherwise polite question.

"You may." The doctor replied coldly, any signs of friendliness now having vanished.

Florence gave her a sarcastic smile but as soon as she passed her, it dropped. She left the room, before realising she actually had no idea where she was going. She didn't pay enough attention to the path Janson had taken her on on the way to the procedure.

I was a Runner for shucks sake, how did I forget where I came from?

"The cafeteria's over this way." A voice called to her, a southern accent hitting her ears. She tilted her head to the source of the noise; her eyes finding a short boy.

He looked about her age, with short brown hair and olive skin. He was fidgeting with his sleeves awkwardly as his eyes scanned Florence, the girl in turn analysing him.

"Thank you."

She didn't even know she was meant to go to the cafeteria but the boy seemed confident enough in his words for the girl to believe he had been there long enough to know.

Maybe he was in Maze B...

She followed him to where he mentioned the cafeteria was in silence - it felt too awkward to speak - and froze at the sight before her. There were tons of kids. So many of them. They were spread out across a series of picnic tables, all with plates filled with food similar to the feast they had earlier. Instantly, she knew that the kids had all come from Mazes.

"Florence!" Frypan's voice jolted her from her daze and she looked to where her friends were sat with some unfamiliar faces.

She turned back to thank the mysterious boy, but he had already slinked off in the direction of an empty table, choosing to sit in the furthest seat from people with his own plate of food. He began dragging his fork around his plate, clearly he had no appetite.

Minho jogged over towards her, his eyes quickly darting to her side, where she looked to see her brother joining her. He looked just as mesmerised by all the other kids as she felt.

"We weren't the only Maze." Minho told them ecstatically, an excited grin on his lips.

"I know." Florence mumbled, half under her breath, but Minho's eyebrows furrowed in confusion. She snapped back to reality, poking his cheek playfully to distract him before stalking towards the table the other Gladers were sat at.