Chapter Twenty Six

Everyone else on the helicopter had fallen asleep except from Florence. The unknown man had crawled into the cockpit of the helicopter, leaving the Gladers alone, and one by one they dropped off to sleep.

But Florence couldn't bring herself to do the same.

Her eyes drifted over her friends, watching them protectively, and every so often she would glance outside to see if anything had changed. But, it hadn't. It was dark, pitch black in fact, but Florence could only just see the miles and miles of desert they had been flying over for hours.

When she shifted slightly, Minho's arms tensed up, and Florence realised she had woken the boy. He exhaled heavily, his eyes fluttering open as the girl twisted around from where she was still sat wrapped in his arms.

"Sorry." She said, wincing with guilt for waking him up. His lips turned up in a smile.

"It's okay princess." He mumbled, yawning. Minho looked over everyone else's sleeping figures and furrowed his eyebrows, turning back to the girl.

"Have you slept?" He asked, however he already knew the answer. She shook her head dismissively, brushing off the question as she said,

"Where do you think they're taking-"

"-Hey." He cut her off, and she pouted. Shaking his head mock-unapprovingly, he poked her cheek. "Get some rest. I'll stay awake, okay? You need to sleep."

Florence did feel exhausted. Her eyes were drooping and every moment took too much energy from her.

"Fine." She agreed, settling back into his arms. Then, just as her eyes finally shut, the helicopter dipped forwards.

They were landing.

Her eyes immediately flew back open and she leant forwards to take a look at where they were going to hit the ground. Minho let out a groan; just as he persuaded her to sleep, they had gotten somewhere.

"Hey. Hey guys." Florence used her foot to nudge Frypan and Winston's legs. They sat up from where they were slumped together at the window, immediately alert.

They managed to wake up all the others, except from Thomas. Everyone felt too guilty to even try at that second. He was so heartbroken after Chuck, his fingers hovering over the small figurine he had given him in his last moments.

Newt's eyes were on him now, his eyebrows furrowed in concern and a small frown playing on his lips. He was quickly jolted out of his Thomas-focused trance when the helicopter made contact with the ground.

Immediately, the door flung open, and the Gladers faces were met with a gust of wind and sand. Blinking away the sand that had got into her eyes, Florence let herself be ushered out of the aircraft.

They were still surrounded by a desert. But, in front of them, contrasting from the red sand was a giant stone complex. Blinding floodlights scoured the surrounding area, and what looked like hundreds of soldiers were milling about and guarding the building.

Florence was tugged forwards by Teresa, just realising that the soldiers were aggressively encouraging them towards the building. She glanced back to the helicopter, gently pulling herself out of Teresa's grip to point to the boy still sleeping on the aircraft.

"Thomas!"

Her shout was carried to Minho in the wind, and the boy returned to the ship - pushing through the guards - to get to their friend. Florence turned back to Teresa, squeezing her hand to reassure the girl, and the pair of them joined the other Gladers in sprinting towards the building.

"Go!"

"Cranks, we got Cranks!"

"Get outta here!"