Chapter Thirty

"Hey, Thomas!"

Florence's voice carried to where Thomas had begun crawling away in the vents. He stopped, swivelling around to face her. They both needed to head back now; it was definitely nearly morning, and Florence was frightened when thinking of what Janson might do if she wasn't in her room.

"The turn to my room in the vents has a jumper on the corner. If you need to find me, that's where I'll be."

Understanding, he gave her a simple nod. She was telling him that if he discovered a single thing about the place, and they needed to leave, he knew where to find her room. He then turned again to return to his own room. Florence headed in the opposite direction of both boys, back to her own.

There's something very wrong about this place. Those were bodies. What is Janson doing in this place?

Later that day, Florence found herself in the exact same position in the cafeteria. They chose the same seats as before, but she made sure to give her new friends from Maze C a wave from where they were sat with a group of girls.

She had briefly told them of her visit to the boys when they woke up that morning, both the girls in return feeling happy for her and triumphant that they were right about the vents. Florence felt grateful to have met them, they were nice people. It was nice to have more girl friends.

And now Janson was in front of them again, a clipboard in hand just like the day previously, ready to read out another list of names. Then a thought appeared in Florence's mind.

What if not all of us get chosen?

She did not want to be separated from the others. They didn't go through hell just for one of them to get to a 'safe place' alone.

"Barry, Walt, Edgar, Samantha,"

Florence jolted up at the sound of her friend's name. She watched as the girl joined the group at the front of the cafeteria in glee, looking over the moon to have been picked.

But Florence couldn't stop feeling as though something was wrong. A sick feeling was creeping up in her stomach. She had a strong suspicion about the place - and what if her friend ends up like those bodies, but she said nothing?

"I wanna know what's through that door." Thomas stole her attention, and she looked to see where his eyes were fixated. Of course, it was on the door that he tried to get past yesterday to see Teresa - where the chosen group walked through to begin their 'new lives'.

"No, we've been over this. You said they were covered up so you don't know what you saw." Newt retorted, and Florence felt herself shake her head at his refusal.

"Newt, you know I love you but you just want to believe these people are good. I don't think they are."

He inspected her carefully, her words rang true of course, and he bit his lip anxiously. Obviously he wanted to believe they were good, they all wanted to. They wanted to think that their fight with WCKD was over. But was it?

"Aris said they bring in a new batch every night." Thomas told the others in a low voice.

"Who the hell is Aris?" Minho asked, his tone clearly frustrated, and the girl nudged his shoulder to point him in the direction of the boy in question.

"It's the boy I spoke to yesterday, that showed me to the cafeteria." She said quietly, and the group all looked to where he was sat inspecting an apple.

"Well, I'm sold." Minho replied sarcastically, Florence shoving his arm away.

"And last but not least, David."