Chapter Twenty Nine

Florence went down onto her hands and knees, tilting her head to the side to peer under Samantha's bed and into the vent attached to the wall.

"We have a theory that all the rooms have a vent like that. They must be connected in some sort of way."

"So I could get to their room through there?" Florence asked to confirm, still analysing the vent.

It looked fairly spacious for a vent; she could easily fit inside. And of course, she'd want to if it meant seeing the others.

"Yep." Alice replied happily, a mischievous sparkle in her eyes.

Florence sat back up on her knees, dusting her hands off on her thighs. She let out a sigh before moving to tie her hair back; showing that she meant business.

"Alright, I might as well do it."

She crawled under the bed, narrowly missing whacking her head on the wooden frame of it, and latched her fingers onto the vent bars. Pulling it towards her, it took a few tugs before she was able to pull it off.

"Success!" She called up to the other girls, and she heard a high-five between them.

"Oh wait!" A concerned voice interrupted her just as she was about to wander inside, and then a head appeared just below the bed.

Alice tossed her jumper towards Florence, settling so she was resting on her knees. Leaning further forwards so the other girl could hear, she explained that,

"It'll show you how to find our room again."

Florence grasped the jumper in her hands, thanking the girl, and turned to crawl into the vents. It was a spacious vent, with more than enough room for her to crawl down with ease. She placed the jumper on the corner that turned towards their room so she could find it again.

It was just like running the Maze, in the way of remembering her path and finding her way back. However this version lacked Grievers - she was pretty sure - and for that she was definitely grateful.

She decided to head to the left first, crawling along a long metal corridor with smaller connecting corridors coming off it - all with a vent just like the one in her room. Florence had no idea how she would find the boys' room. She hoped that their voices would carry into the vents so she could distinguish them from any other kids.

She could hear people from where she was crawling in the vents, mindless chatter between kids, crazy Maze stories, and aspirations of the safe place they were being promised with. But nothing of anyone she could recognise.

After a number of bends and twists in the vents, Florence was beginning to lose hope. It felt like she had been crawling for hours, and her eyes were beginning to droop in tiredness.

And then, she heard a familiar voice.

Thank god for Newt's funny accent.

Immediately shuffling down towards the vent, she strained her ear to listen in, just to check it was really them. She didn't want to go into any random people's rooms.

"She can hold her own, Thomas, we all know that." Newt spoke comfortingly, and Florence felt a smile forming on her lips at the boy reassuring his 'friend'.

They are too cute.

"We don't know who she might be sharing a room with, Newt! They could be some weird girls that want to, I don't know, involve her in a cult." Thomas argued back, and Florence stifled a laugh that threatened to pass her lips.

They're talking about me? Honestly my first thought was Teresa.

At this point, she knew she should've just come into the room, to ease Thomas' worry, but she found the conversation more than a little amusing.