Chapter Ten

Florence woke the next day in the same position she had fallen asleep in - except Minho was not there. Her face was buried instead into his empty pillow, and her arm looped around a bunched up part of the covers.

She had no idea how, but the boy had gotten through his hangover and was out in the Maze as usual. There was a feeling of emptiness in her stomach at the thought of Minho gone rather than still cuddled up in bed with her.

I'm probably just hungry. Minho leaves early every day, it's no different.

She would be taking Chuck on the Greenie tour, knowing that he would've already had the 'Griever Show' from Newt early this morning.

Slipping out of bed, the girl tugged a jumper over her head and shuffled out of the door. As she reached the Homestead, her eyes drew along the room, scouring for a particular person.

Gally.

She didn't know what happened to him last night after the whole 'incident', but she knew that Alby would want to address it in a Council meeting presumably.

Florence approached Frypan, her distraction evident as she bumped into the boy queuing for breakfast just in front of her.

"Sorry." She muttered, not bothering to look up. When she got to Frypan, the cheerful boy greeted her with a two smiles; one on his face and one of bacon and eggs on her plate.

"Thank you." 

Glancing behind her to see only a few boys, she took the moment to turn back to Frypan to ask him what had been praying on her mind. "Have you seen Gally around?"

His expression darkened, and he looked over the girl's shoulder to where Alby and Newt were sat together. They were away from the other Gladers, both with troubled looks painted on their faces.

"Not since last night. Reckon you should go talk to Alby about it." He gave her another smile and went to serve the boy behind her, forcing her to move on.

Weaving through the Gladers, Florence settled into a space beside Newt. Her presence briefly distracted him and Alby, and then they exchanged a glance.

"How are you doing Florence?" Alby asked her genuinely, and she gave him a soft smile. She was grateful for his caring tone, rather than his usual impatience.

"I'm fine. I know that nothing'll happen to me. Gally was just too drunk, and he was being stupid." She paused to begin eating her food, and then looked back up to their leader.

"Where is Gally actually?"

Neither of the boys said anything. They looked at one another, before looking back to the girl. They were hiding something. She just waited with an expectant glance for one of them to explain.

"We put him in the Slammer last night." Newt told her. Florence's eyes widened in surprise, in disbelief that they thought he would try anything more than what he tried last night.

"What? Why?"

"We warned people about touching you or doing anything to you on that first night Florence. Gally didn't listen." Alby continued, his harsh tone ringing in her ears and settling in her mind.

"So what? What are you gonna do? Just leave him in there?"

They shared yet another private look and Florence felt her fists clenching. Her heart began to pick up in speed at her own impatience. The pair were discussing her, and keeping her out of the whole conversation.

Then she remembered Alby's exact words from that first night - the exact threat he had sent all of the boys.

They want to banish Gally.