Chapter Nineteen

The next day Florence found herself in the Council room, sat beside Minho on the end of the semi circle of chairs the Council members were sat on. Thomas squirmed under the eyes of the Council, as the only ones not judging him were Florence, Minho and Newt.

Minho stretched his arm around Florence's shoulders, resting it on her chair. She had brought her chair closer to the boy, the pair getting only a little affectionate, as to not make whatever it was going on between the two of them anymore obvious.

But it was obvious to everyone already. From the moment Minho had returned to the Glade, the pair had barely been able to keep their hands off of each other, and they were oblivious to it.

"In place of our leader, sick in bed, I declare this Gathering begun," Florence bit back a laugh as Newt rolled his eyes himself from the formality.

"As you all know, the last few days have been bloody crazy, and quite a bit seems centred around our Greenbean, Tommy, seated before us."

Thomas nervously looked at the faces staring back at him, and Florence gave him a reassuring smile, causing him to relax a little. He knew she was on his side.

"He's not the Greenie any more," Gally replied harshly, "He's just a rule breaker now." A few of the Keepers began whispering amongst them, but Florence just found herself rolling her eyes.

Any signs of the person Gally was acting like last night to Florence was gone.

"Gally, try to keep some bugging order here. If you're gonna blabber your shuck mouth every time I say something, you can go ahead and bloody leave, because I'm not in a very cheerful mood." Newt replied, and the boy shut his mouth instantly.

"Glad we got that out of the way." He caught eyes with Florence, who raised an eyebrow with amusement. Ignoring the girl, he continued the Gathering.

"Reason we're here is because almost every loving kid in the Glade has come up to me in the last day either boo-hooing about Thomas or begging to take his bloody hand in marriage." This earned a laugh from Florence.

Bet Newt's jealous about these other boys wanting to marry Thomas.

She immediately tried to turn it into a cough, failing miserably and choosing to instead turn her eyes to the floor.

"We need to decide what we're gonna do with him." Gally went to try and speak but Newt cut him off again.

"You'll have your chance, Gally. One at a time. And Tommy, you're not allowed to say a bugging thing until we ask you to. Good that?" Thomas nodded reluctantly, but Florence knew it was best for the boy to hear what everyone had to say before speaking himself.

Starting the opposite end of the semi circle, Newt pointed to Zart. "Zart the Fart, you start." Florence let herself laugh unashamedly this time, a few also chuckling.

"Well, I don't know. He broke one of our most important rules. We can't just let people think that's okay. But then again, he's... changed things. Now we know we can survive out there, and that we can beat the Grievers." It was comforting for Florence to know that people shared her opinion, but even more so to Thomas.

He was an outsider, he needed as many people on the Council onside as possible.

"Oh give me a break. I bet Minho's the one who actually got rid of the stupid things." Gally interrupted again, and this time Florence stepped in to handle it.

"Shut it Gally. Minho himself has said it was Thomas. His ego's way too large to allow Tom to take the credit if it was really him." Minho rolled his eyes at the girl but he couldn't disagree. She was spot on.