Chapter Thirty Six

It turns out, Bertha's a car.

Jorge showed much enjoyment in revving up the engine and sending the old car racing down the empty roads. However, no one was enjoying it more than Newt. A grin had seemed to have permanently invaded his face as he couldn't stop himself from smiling as they drove into the mountains.

They were all shoved in together; Minho having to keep Florence on her lap in order to fit everyone inside. Teresa and Brenda occupied the small space behind the backseats leaving Florence to suddenly feel lucky she had Minho so she wasn't cramped with them.

As they drove into the mountains and down a narrower path, Jorge was forced to pull the brakes at a blockage in the road. From where she was sat, Florence couldn't see what was in the way, and so she pushed open the door and scrambled out to have a look for herself.

Dozens of abandoned, trashed cars sat in the way, some seemingly from decades ago. Many were beginning to rust, the coppery shine catching in the sunlight and threatening to blind them. The rest of the group had climbed out after Florence, grouping around her and looking at the obstacles that were physically impossible to drive past.

"Well, I guess we're on foot." Jorge said simply, beginning to head off down the road towards the tunnel.

They ambled down the road in silence, stopping to peer into the cars to get a look of what sort of useful objects may be inside. They didn't find anything of interest.

Florence found her eyes wandering over towards Teresa, who was looking shifty. She was so, so wary of her, but how was she supposed to mention it to anyone? It would be impossible.

Except, Thomas.

"Hey," Florence shuffled over towards her brother who was reaching out to touch the dusty glass of a car window. "I was just thinking about what you told me about Teresa-"

But before she could say anything more, a gunshot sounded out and bounced off of the car they were stood beside. Instantly, Florence grabbed a hold of Thomas, yanking him down to the ground beside the car. She peered out from it, trying to get her head together and figure out where the shooter was coming from.

"Get down!"

"Take cover!"

Jorge's back hit the side of the car beside them, the man panting heavily with his eyes wide in fear. Florence never would've thought she would see the man scared.

"Hey, is everyone okay out there?" Florence glanced to her side to see her brother calling out to their friends.

"We're fine!" Teresa's voice, a short distance away.

"Anyone know where those bloody shots came from?"

"That son of a bitch, Marcus. He led us into an ambush." Jorge growled from Florence's other side, slamming his hand onto the car, shaking with fury.

It had fallen silent again, and so Thomas took the opportunity to shift into a crouching position and peek out from over the car bonnet. Florence scoured the mountains glaring down on them, eyes squinting to try and spot the figure very clearly aiming for them.

And then, another shot.

Thomas dropped his head down again, eyes frantically moving to Jorge, begging him for a way out. If anyone knew how to handle this situation, it would be him.

"What do we do?"

"Here. Hold this." Jorge handed Thomas a makeshift bomb as if it was nothing. The two siblings exchanged a ludicrous look, but said nothing to question it. "We gotta create a diversion. You get ready to chuck it."