Chapter Thirty One

As Janson and his bodyguard turned and walked back up the room, Florence flattened herself against the pillar and became deadly still to avoid attracting attention to herself. And then when they were gone, they ran for the vents.

Racing through the vents, Florence was certain her knees were going to be bruised from the startling pace they were crawling at. Thomas led her and Aris back to his room, bursting straight through the vent door and leaping up into the room.

Florence followed, scrambling up onto her feet to see Thomas rushing around the room, panicking. She leant her hands on her knees, desperately catching her breath back as the others watched in confusion.

"We gotta go. We gotta go right now." Thomas began to explain, still rushing about and not taking a second to explain.

"What the hell are you talking about?" Newt questioned, the irritancy in his tone more clear than anything else. "What do you mean, 'we gotta go'?"

"They're coming. Come on. We gotta go. They're coming for us." Thomas repeated, looking around frantically for a way to possibly stall Janson so they could escape.

"What happened in there?"

The others looked terrified now, sharing uncertain glances as they watched Thomas rip back the bedsheets of the closest bunk, turning to the door to try and tie it shut. Florence raked a hand through her hair, watching the chaos unfold in front of her, not knowing what to say.

"Aris, what happened?" Frypan asked the other boy, who was frozen to the spot, looking as shocked by what they had seen and heard as Florence felt.

"Thomas, can you just calm down and talk to us?" Newt's voice raised as he addressed Thomas, the boy in turn not listening, and continuing to tie the bedsheets to the door.

Becoming frustrated with the way he was miserably failing, Florence passed the boys questioning him to help him out and speed up the process. Janson was on his way, getting closer to killing them at every passing second.

"Florence, what's going on?" She heard Minho's voice from behind her and she turned her head to call back,

"She's still alive."

"Who's she? Teresa?" Frypan questioned hopefully.

Is Teresa still alive?

"Ava." Thomas answered, looping part of the bedsheet under another and handing it to the girl to tie it together.

"Ava?" Newt asked in horror. His frustrated tone returned in the question, "Will you just turn around and talk to us?"

"It's WCKD." Thomas finally stopped, turning around to face them all. Florence did the same, her eyes finding Minho's which widened in asking for confirmation. She nodded slightly and his face dropped.

"It's still WCKD. It's always been WCKD."

Thomas immediately moved back to the bed, picking up the mattress and taking it over to the door, slamming it against it. Pausing, he leant his hands against the mattress, panting for breath. Newt approached him, his hand resting just beside Thomas's and his face close to the other's.

"Thomas. What did you see?"

"Newt." Thomas whirled around properly, causing his nose to brush against Newt's. "You need to trust me. We need to go."

The group took little time in heading straight back into the vents to scour for an escape. They reached a vent which led out into a corridor, Thomas opening it up and scrambling out.

At the back of the group, Florence was more than a little impatient in waiting to get out of the vents herself. She had spent more time than expected in the small metal corridors.