Chapter Twenty Seven

She was surrounded by people. Hundreds and hundreds of people all looking frantic, all shouting and all crowding in front of one area.

I don't really know what's going on.

Clinging even tighter to her mom's hand, they weave through the crowds of angry people - some wearing masks to shield their mouths and noses - and surprisingly they let them pass.

I think it's because my mom has us. Me and my brother.

Her brother's hand is tightly grasped in her mom's other, barely taller than the small girl at seven years old, whilst she's six. Their mom managed to push her way to the front and then they could see what everyone was shouting at.

The guards in front of the metal fence were all wearing full hazmat suits to protect themselves from the Flare. Sniffer dogs barked manically at the crowds, scaring the people enough to keep them back.

The guards beckoned some people from behind the metal fence, where a building - or maybe it was a train - sat. The floodlights glaring at them made it too hard for her eyes to make out.

Her mom stopped them right in front of the gate of the fence, her eyes glistening with tears. She tried to keep her voice from shaking as she said, "Look after your sister." to the small boy.

He nodded once, his lip quivering as tears threatened to fall from his eyes. Wanting to reassure him, the girl took his hand.

"Remember, I love you both." The girl heard her mom's voice echoed in my mind. At that time, she didn't know it would be the last thing she ever heard her say. She was too naïve to know.

Then a guard had picked her up from the ground, carrying her away from her mom and causing her hand to fall from her brother's. Trying to fight the guard's grip, she yelled and screamed for her mom, hot tears falling from her eyes.

But it was no use.

~

She's been at WCKD for three years. At first, they ran constant tests on them. It was nonstop. And then for Florence, it slowed down, and WCKD stopped focusing on her so much.

But it didn't for Thomas.

For some reason, completely unknown to them, he was different in some way. WCKD seemed to love him and his friend Teresa, whilst Florence was just left to one side. Thomas and Teresa were kept in another part of the facility, and Florence hadn't even met the other girl yet, she only heard about her from Thomas.

She had tutors that would teach her school work, but she felt like she barely got to see Thomas anymore. She still spoke to him daily, but they were fairly quick conversations and he would breeze over whatever he had been doing with WCKD, not giving her any details.

It felt like she barely knew him anymore.

But really, she knows it's not so bad that WCKD doesn't focus on her. It gave her more time to sneak out of her room to see her friends.

Well, friend.

Newt's room was down the corridor from hers, and she had met him one day when they were both getting taken to their tutors. Their curious eyes met quickly and they shared a brief smile, but the girl knew they would be friends instantly.

She snuck out of her room one day to go and find him, knocking on his door twice. He let her in out of confusion and they introduced themselves to one another, becoming friendly very quickly.

This started happening often; Florence would wait until they had just been checked and confirmed to be in their rooms before darting across the corridor and knocking on Newt's door twice.