Chapter Forty Seven

"Okay, they're through." Thomas muttered to himself, getting to his feet to peer out at the chaos in the street and find an opening for them to escape to.

In contrast, Florence crouched down besides Newt, scooting closer to him out of worry. His once kind brown irises had been swallowed by the darkness of his pupils, and his head lolled to one side as he heavily panted, clearly focused on keeping himself conscious.

"Newt?" She asked him gently, moving a hand to his cheek carefully. His skin was scorching hot, slick with sweat, and he flinched at her brief touch. "Newt?" She repeated, to no response.

"Newt? Newt! Hey!" 

Thomas was a little harsher. He gripped the boy by the shoulders, shaking him to get a reaction. Florence couldn't blame him. He loved him. He was desperate.

And it worked. Newt jolted from whatever state he had gone into, and his eyes were now lazily trained on Thomas.

"We're gonna try this. Okay? We gotta move, now. Let's get you up, come on."

As Thomas moved to his right side, Florence went to the left. Her hands reached for his arm, to hoist him up from the floor, but he resisted.

"No. No, Thomas,"

His hand grasped for his own neck, Florence knowing immediately what was happening. He fumbled over the necklace he wore, and tugged it furiously. It broke from around his neck and with a trembling hand, he held it up to Thomas.

"No, Newt. Later. Later." Thomas pushed, barely watching what the boy was trying to give to him, still trying to move him from the ground.

"Look, you gotta take this. No, just take it!" He shrieked at the boy, and Thomas fell back onto the ground in surprise. He fell still, and Newt's eyes pleaded with him. "Please, Tommy, please."

Before Thomas could move, Florence reached for the shaking hand, untwining the necklace from his fingers, and pocketing it herself. She'd guard it with her life, but she was firm in the belief she wouldn't have to give it to Thomas.

"I've got it, okay?" She reassured him, and instantly, his head fell back again in relief. His shallow, uneven breaths returned, the yelling clearly having tired him as he tried to regain his breath.

"All right. All right." Thomas mumbled, a questioning glance still lingering on the girl at her understanding of the locket. However he didn't address it, and instead moved to Newt again. "I need you to give me everything you got. You and me, right now."

And me.

Always third wheeling.

"Let's go. You ready?" 

Florence focused back in on what she and Thomas tried to do from the beginning of the small kerfuffle, reaching under Newt's arm as Thomas did the same with the other. Newt's face strained in effort as he readied to help the siblings lift him from the ground.

"Come on, ready? Here we go. One, two, three."

On three, they had heaved him up from the ground, the boy letting out a concentrated growl. Florence let his arm fall over her shoulder and grip her arm strongly enough to leave a mark.

They began walking - or limping - in the direction Thomas had determined as the safest, at a quick pace. Of course Brenda would wait as long as necessary, but they didn't have all the time in the world to spare.

Quicker than Florence expected, they had made it through an empty, trashed train station and were now in a deserted street, dim streetlights flickering above their heads. Newt was weakening by the second, but her and Thomas' determination was only getting stronger.