The Word Of The Day Is Legs, Let's Go To My Place And Spread The Word

Chapter 12: The Word Of The Day Is Legs, Let's Go To My Place And Spread The Word 
Song: Bloody Valentine - Machine Gun Kelly

Daliah and I sit by the fire as Obi sleeps nearby. It's strange seeing him sleep at night, he's always been nocturnal, but now that his sister is around, he seems to be sleeping easier. We should reach the village tomorrow afternoon and we'll find out for sure if we can clear Daliah's name. I glance over at the redhead and find her resting her chin on her knees and looking at Obi sadly.

"What are you thinking?" I ask quietly and she sighs.

"Obi looks almost the same as he used to but things are just so different now. He's my brother but I feel like we are strangers. I don't know how to be around him."

"I don't know if this will help, but Obi is fairly easygoing. If you just talk to him or even hang around, he'll open up and things will be alright. I can tell he wants to be around you and talk to you, but he doesn't want to scare you away."

"How can we get past fourteen years of being apart?"

"You just have to be open to trying to move past it and make new memories. You have to forgive him for what happened."

"I-I know... I want to, especially if I'm still set for death after this trip, but it's hard. I understand why it happened but I just can't let it go."

"Then don't force yourself to do it, and don't rush into it. Let him know that you want to but are still working toward it. He'll understand. He loves you dearly even though your reuniting was just so you could try to murder him."

"In my defense both of you were heading out to murder me." She shrugs and I sigh. It's true.

"In our defense, we didn't know it was you at the time. You sought him out as your brother."

I wake up just before daybreak and look around through half-open eyes. Obi is still asleep, sprawled out on his stomach and snoring lightly. Daliah is curled up between us with her sweater pulled around her as a blanket. I'll let them sleep awhile longer and when I wake up again we'll continue on. I suppress a yawn and lay my head back down. We're making good time anyway, so sleeping in for just a little while will be alright.

When my eyes open again, Obi is asleep still and Daliah is gone. My sword is still here and nothing else seems out of place. I get to my feet and nudge Obi until he wakes. He looks around before looking up at me in confusion and asks where Daliah is. I wish I could answer that but I can't so I stay silent. His eyes narrow and he lets out a curse as he gets to his feet.

"I'm going to kill her. I'm going to put her in a grave! We're trying to help her and she runs off. I-" He trails off as his eyes drop to the ground.

I follow his gaze and notice a small bronze coin where she had slept before.

"What is it?" I ask as he picks it up.

"It's a calling card. Daliah didn't run away."

"A calling card for who? Why would they take Daliah and not kill us?"

"Liro," Obi scowls. "he didn't kill us because he's sending a message to me. We have to find her before he kills her."

I follow Obi through the forest away from the village and the files. I'm not exactly sure where our destination is but he claims he knows where Liro's old hang out is so we're starting our search there. I just hope we find her alive, and will be able to get the files to clear her name in time. It'll destroy Obi if we don't make it to her. I will admit that I wouldn't be okay if we lost her either. She's a bit strange and violent but the redhead is starting to grow on me. Daliah is pretty resilient and headstrong, so I am sure that she can handle herself until we find her.

"Why was I so stupid? I shouldn't have fallen asleep, I should have stayed awake to watch over her."

"You can't blame yourself Obi. If it wasn't now it would be another opportunity. There's no way Liro just happened upon us and recognized the two of you. He must have known about her either before we found her or while we were traveling."

"Then I should have noticed them!" He snaps as he turns to face me. "Before I came to the castle I was an assassin, one of the best in the world. I could sense people miles away but now I'm so useless I let my sister get taken while I was right beside her."

"Obi, it's okay. We'll find Daliah and get her back no problem. If she can handle the bur- if she can handle herself for fourteen years, I doubt some thugs are going to shake her."

"Handle the what?"

I curse my slip up and try to play it off but Obi's glare deepens and I cave.

"I saw burns all over her arms when I went to bring her up to Zen. She told me they were from cigarettes and though she wouldn't admit it, I'm pretty sure it was from Matya."

A flicker of hurt flickers across his face before slipping into determination.

"When I find them, I'm taking care of Liro once and for all."

"Obi you-"

"No, don't even." He cuts in. "Liro threatened Daliah once and right now has her in his grimy little hands. He's going to die by my hand there's no other outcome."