Are You A Piece Of Art? Cause I'd Nail You Against The Wall

Chapter 22: Are You A Piece Of Art? Cause I'd Nail You Against The Wall
Song: Slip Out The Back - Fort Minor

Daliah shuffles out of Kiki's room after her and immediately puts her forehead against my chest. Her hair is a puffy mess tied back from her face and her clothes are disheveled. She whines to me that she has a hangover and I grin and lightly pat her head. By the time we all finally separated for the night, she and Obi both drank fifteen bottles each. I stopped at three and Garak and Kiki had four. We go to leave to get breakfast but I realize that she's wearing an oversized shirt inside out and backward, and hopefully a short pair of pants. It's not exactly what she should wear for the day. I voice that thought and she looks down at herself before sighing.

"Fine... I'll change."

She disappears into Kiki's room again and comes back out a few minutes later in a black silk tunic and black pants.

"No offense but how do you have such nice clothing? Silk is typically only affordable for nobility and higher."

"The shirt came as a trade. A woman's husband was abusing her and at the time I needed clothing. In exchange for a few outfits I defended her until he left and never came back."

"Why put yourself in danger for some clothes?"

"It wasn't for the clothes. It was for the woman and I definitely was not in any danger. I dated again after Torin... It didn't go very well for me and after several months I had to fight my way out in the middle of the night. I couldn't let her suffer like I did."

Daliah and I settle in the alcove with our food and drinks to watch the sun rise. We sit in silence as she assembles a sandwich out of her biscuit, egg, bacon, and cheese. It's rather peaceful even with the cool air. A bluebird lands in the bath in front of us and she excitedly taps my arm so I'll see it too. I smile softly and and nod before returning to my breakfast. I didn't know she liked birds. I don't know much about her as a person really.

"Hey Hide?"

"Yes?"

"Tell me about yourself. I don't know much about you besides castle dweeb and my brother's friend and my current babysitter."

"I was just thinking the same. I don't know much about you either."

"There's not much to know about me. You know my past with Obi, there's not much else to know."

"What about your favorite color?"

"Don't have one."

"Birthday?"

"Obi might know that." She shrugs.

"What do you do for fun?"

"No clue. I spent so long looking for Obi that the only other thing I did was occasionally eat and sleep for an hour every few days. I didn't grow up with fun after Obi left. The only fun I had was I was just really drunk. But enough about me, what about you? Tell me things."

My sword clashes against Daliah's as I try to use my strength for her to fall back. She pushes back but at the last second she moves away, throwing me off balance so she can sweep my feet and bring me down. I try to trip her but she lightly steps on my hand to keep me pinned while drawing a sword to press to the hollow of my throat. She smirks down at me and I sigh and admit my defeat.

"You know, I worry about the dear prince's safety if you get taken down by a young woman."

"In my defense you were trained as an assassin."

"In my defense, I really wasn't. I taught myself to fight through hands-on experience and watching others fight at the bars."

"So I'm just really bad..." I sigh.

"Or I'm just really good. Maybe I'll teach you someday, Hide." She winks at me then holds her hand out to help me up.

"Good job Anee. I saw your huge victory over Mitsuhide."

"Thank you. Now Brother Dearest, I have a favor to ask of you."

Daliah and Obi are bonding. It's strange, but it counts as bonding. He's giving her assassination tips and helping with her weapon holding. For being legitimately self-taught whether through watching others or just a fight or die situation, she's amazing. I feel like if we were to help hone her skills too much, she could become a living weapon, like Obi when he actually tries. Even though their relationship is very tentative, I'm glad they have similar interests to keep them around each other. Maybe they'll get close again. I've settled on the ground a few feet away to watch since I can't leave her alone.

"Hello Mitsuhide, how are things going with Daliah?"

"Hello Miss Shirayuki. It's going alright. They're training so I'm getting a small break."

"That's great. I hope they continue to get along."

I look away from Shirayuki as she leaves only to find Daliah and Obi gone. Why does this keep happening? Zen is going to kill me. I get to my feet to look for them and I find Obi leaning against a nearby tree, but no Daliah.

"Where is she? She knows she can't leave my sight."

"I'm sure she's around." He smirks.

"Obi-"

"Move and you die."

Well, at least I found her. Her weapon is wood judging by the feel of it against my throat, but I really didn't hear her approach at all. The weapon leaves my throat and she moves around to smile up at me.

"I totally got you!"

"Yes you did. You worried me because I thought you'd run off and broke your deal with Zen."

"Oh, no. I'm having fun here so far so I don't feel like making myself yet another target."