Let's Be Nothing, Because Nothing Lasts Forever

Chapter 25: Let's Be Nothing, Because Nothing Lasts Forever
Song: Song of Women - The HU ft. Lzzy Hale

"Could you close your eyes for me, please?"

I'm not sure why Daliah wants me to close my eyes but I decide to go along with it. Last time she asked me to do that, she stuck a rather large spider in my hands. I hope that's not her plan this time. My eyes close and a second later I feel a slight pressure against my lips. I open my eyes and my sudden thoughts are confirmed, Daliah is kissing me. I shouldn't, but I start to kiss back as my eyes close again.

"What the hell!?"

That's not good. In an instant, Daliah is ripped away from me and a fist hits me before I can block it. Obi is very, very mad.

"Obi what are you doing?" Daliah asks as I get to my feet and block his hits.

"Go back to your room, this doesn't concern you. I told you to stay away from her so you drag her off in the middle of the night to kiss her!?"

Daliah grabs his arm in an attempt to stop him. "Obi he didn't kiss me, I kissed him!"

"What?" He turns to face her and her eyes widen.

"I kissed him." She repeats softly. "Why did you want Mitsuhide to stay away from me?"

"Because of this! I didn't want him getting close to you and now I find you like this."

"What's so wrong with getting close to me? Are you trying to be protective older brother and keep the guys away from me because you lost that right when you dumped me on someone's doorstep!" She steps between us. "I've been trying so hard to make myself forgive you and move past it and you want me to trust you but you're skulking around trying to manipulate my life to your bidding. How dare you?"

"I-" He's cut off by the resounding slap that echoes through the garden an d as the sound fades, she's gone.

His eyes meet mine and I want to say something, anything to fix it but I am shocked. Obi wrecked the bit of trust they had between each other.

"I-I messed up, didn't I?"

"I'm not even going to lie and say it's not that bad."

"Should I go after her?" He asks quietly.

"Let her breathe." I sigh, wondering why I'm helping him after he punched me. "She bottles emotions around other people."

"I'm sorry for freaking out on you... I think I'm worried that just when I got her back you'd steal her away from me. Master is already enforcing distances because he doesn't trust me to not try to help her escape."

"I know. If she forgives you, it'll be a long time before she trusts you at all."

Obi runs a hand through his hair and sighs before heading toward the garden exit.

"Hey Hide, I just- if my sister falls in love, I'd rather it be with you. I know you wouldn't hurt her."

Daliah didn't come back to her room last night. I'm sure she spent the remaining night hours with Garak since they've been getting close. When I enter the kitchens for breakfast, the women ask where she is since we eat together every morning.

"She hasn't come through?" I ask Ellie, the closest staff member.

"No, we thought she'd be with you, Garak, or Obi but they've all come through alone."

"Oh, well Obi said that he was going to see if she was awake, but he mentioned letting her sleep in since she had a rough night."

"We heard about Wrey. He's a grabby little creep."

I track Obi down in one of the trees on the grounds and get his attention. I'm not sure where she is but if she isn't with someone and Zen finds out, she'll have violated her deal with him and will be arrested. Once he's on the ground beside me, I quietly tell him what I've learned and he curses under his breath. He hadn't seen her since she stormed off last night either.

"So what do we do?" I ask as I lean against the tree. "If Zen finds out, she's done here and will go to prison."

"Who can we trust?"

"Me, you, Shirayuki if we explain what happened, Garak, probably Ryuu as well."

"I'll go to the infirmary and tell them what's going on and search the grounds. Start checking the castle since it's more common for you to be there."

"If one of us finds her, I guess do the whistle and we'll meet here."

No one gives me a second glance as I make my way through the castle in search of Daliah. I just hope that she still is on the castle grounds somewhere and that she hadn't taken off in the middle of the night. There's no sign of her so far and a lot of the staff asks why she's not with me and I just tell them she's sleeping. The first floor is cleared so head up the stairs to continue my search. I don't know where she could be hiding or why she hasn't come out yet. I round a corner and let out a stream of curses under my breath. Zen and Kiki are walking toward me.

"Good morning Zen."

"Good morning Mitsuhide. Is Daliah not with you today?"

"She's uh- she's asleep still. Dealing with Wrey last night took a lot out of her."

"Hm, well when she wakes up let her know that Wrey won't be a problem any longer. He has been released from Wistal Castle and has been moved to another location."

"I'm sure that she will be glad to hear it. Thank you for taking care of her despite the probationary period."

I move to pass them but freeze when I hear Daliah's laugh coming closer. That's not good. Zen turns beside me as Daliah comes into view... with Prince Izana by her side. That's definitely not good, but technically she wasn't alone so her deal isn't violated.

"You told me she was asleep, but she's with Lord Brother. Is there something I need to know?" Zen asks quietly.