Chapter 11: We need a quest...

No matter what I did, the campers were doing all they could to make fun of Tyson himself and for being Percy's brother. I could see Percy was hurting because he liked Tyson but did not like being compared to him. I understood that but there was nothing I could do since I was so focused on keeping the shield running. Some of the campers formed a schedule on their free time to allow me to rest even if it was only for a few hours instead of the original twenty four. I was at the lake during one of my breaks given to me by Silena, from the Aphrodite cabin. I was using the water to give me energy which it did but I still felt exhausted because I hadn't been sleeping well because I feel every monster that hits the shield.

It was finally the day of the chariot race which I hoped would allow me to get some rest later that night since the campers wouldn't be worried about building their chariots. I made sure the shield was intact before making my way to the the track. I sat down in the front row of the seats made of stone right next to Tantalus because he "asked" me too. I had some snacks with me because I found that I was actually losing weight since the energy needed to keep the shield up was being drawn from my body fat so I was rapidly losing it. Thus the need to have snacks with me at all times. The other campers recognized that so they would hand me some if I past them looking exhausted or if they realized I was turning into skin and bones. Tantalus kept trying to take some of my food which was annoying me because it was being forced out of my hands to get away from him. He finally gave up and just decided to start the race.

"Right!" He shouted eyeing my food still, "You all know the rules. A quarter-mile track. Twice around to win. Two horses per chariot. Each team will consist of a driver and a fighter. Weapons are allowed. Dirty tricks are expected. But try not to kill anybody! Any killing will result in harsh punishment. No s'mores at the campfire for a week! Now ready your chariots." I had a bad feeling rise over me as I watch the campers take their place at the start line. I noticed these pigeons in the trees since they were screeching loudly and the group kept increasing. I knew I was weakening so if they were monsters, they probably could find a way in through small holes if I was losing my grip on the shield.

"Charoteers!" Tantalus shouted over the screeching not caring about the pigeons, "Attend your mark!" He drops the flag and they were off. I watched as the Hermes's chariot rams into Apollo's which causes the two riders in that chariot to fly off but it back fires on the Hermes campers because the Apollo horses crash into their chariot leaving them in a pile of wrecked wood and scared horses. I noticed the pigeons began to rise from the trees flying toward us like a huge tornado. I was confused until the first one attacked a camper. I saw they were trying to eat the campers alive. I was weak but I knew I had to fight. I took out the piece of metal that Ares gave me for my birthday and slammed it against the stone seats. It elongated into a long thin double headed spear. I slashed it at the ones attacking me before hitting the spear into the ground. My powers were pushed through it radiating off toward the birds. They screech as they are torn apart. Not all are hit but those who aren't try to fly off but the Apollo archers shoot them down quickly. I lean on my spear feeling exhausted but I try to feel the shield and realized I did let an area drop so I push my body to put the shield back in place.

"Bravo!" I hear Tantalus say. I look toward him to see him walking toward Clarisse who had passed the finish line to help fight the carnivorous birds. "We have our first winner." She was stunned since she didn't think that counted after the birds. I began to slide to the ground when my body was becoming to tired to support itself. Clarisse pushed Tantalus out of the way to catch me.

"Atlantia," She cried worried.

"I need some energy." I say weakly leaning into her body, "I need food." Wordlessly she carried me to the kitchens to find me something to eat because it was quite obvious that my body would die if I didn't have something to eat. The harpies, who love me and care for me like their child, quickly prepared a plate of some pizza and a protein shake. They told me the shake should give me more energy. What they inferred was that it should keep me alive. I sip on the shake and took bites of my pizza.