Chapter 14: Being powerful comes with a price

I opened my eyes to find myself back in the Big House. Chiron comes running, well, wheeling in.

"Atlantia, you succeeded." He says clearly relieved.

"Yeah, um...Micah this is Chiron our activities director." I say introducing them. Micah shakes Chiron's hand, "Chiron this is Micah, the demigod that you sent me to help bring here."

"Micah, it's nice to meet you." Chiron says smiling. He notices I want to talk to him so he says to Coach Hedge, "Hedge, would you mind showing Micah the orientation video while I speak to Atlantia?"

"Of course, Chiron." Coach Hedge said nodding. "Let's go kid." Together they walk out of the room leaving me with Chiron.

"So, what's on your mind, Atlantia?" Chiron asks as I sit into the nearest chair.

"Um...when we were recruiting Micah, there were some empousas dressed as cheerleaders." Chiron nods at me to continue when I pause, "They took out this herb and just opened and the bag and I instantly was incapacitated. They said it was cordelia." Understanding appeared his eyes.

"Ah...I forget about that." Chiron said, "When sirens were prospering in the oceans, I had a few demigods that were also sirens. They told me of that herb after one of them was forced to eat it. She almost killed half of the camp before her family was able to stop her. She was taken back to the ocean for a cleansing and she never returned." He turns to me sadly, "Zeus and Hades had attacked the sirens to stop that event from repeating itself."

"So they tried to kill off my kind because they were afraid of what we could do?" I ask.

Chiron nods, "Yes, Zeus and Hades were afraid that if the rest of the cordelia was found, the sirens could kill all the demigods plus perhaps kill the gods themselves."

"Why didn't you tell me this when I first came here?" I ask looking at him feeling overwhelmed with what I was hearing.

He sighs, "I didn't think telling the five year old girl who just watched her mom die that also two of her fathers killed her kind because they were afraid. I wasn't sure you could understand it or handle knowing that."

"I understand withholding that piece of the story but why didn't you warn me about the cordelia?" I say, "I mean it would have been nice to know to maybe plug my nose or I don't know, kill the empousa carrying the bag instead of being confused and curious of what she was talking about."

"I admit I should have told you but I was unaware of you not knowing about the cordelia. " Chiron apologized. I try to think of response to that but Coach Hedge returned with Micah so I drop the topic and focused on helping Micah adjust to his new life.

"So, you're really the Chiron?" Micah says as he slides into the chair right next to me. Chiron nods before getting up from the wheelchair. The wheelchair and his legs all morph into his horse's bottom half and Micah's eyes widen not really ready to see that.

"Yes, I am him." Chiron confirms. "And I can confirm you are a child of a Greek god. Would you mind me asking who is your parent?"

"My mom is a nurse down in Florida and my dad has never been in my life. I'm assuming that means he is a god?" Micah looks at us for confirmation. Chiron nods.

"You would be correct in assuming that. For now, we will place you with Cabin 11 but once your father claims you, we can put you in the right cabin." Chiron turns to me, "Atlantia, could you show him around camp?"

"Yeah, of course." I say before waving for Micah to follow me. I give him a detailed tour of camp explaining that many of the demigods only come during the summer wanting to try living a normal life.