Chapter 16: What just happened?

The campers elected Grover and Percy to carry the Oracle back to her attic so I watched them as they struggled to carry her back to her place. It was silent as we all watched them disappear toward the Big House but once they disappeared from view Zoe spoke.

"We need a meeting right away." Zoe said. Chiron nods and tells all heads of the cabins to come to the Big House. I followed them with the rest of the heads of the cabins to the Big House. When we got there, Thalia told us that she would go get Percy. I slid into the seat next to Zoe as Mr. D appeared inside. I guess either Apollo told him a prophecy dropped or Chiron contacted him. I'm betting on the latter. I was sort of representing the Ares cabin because each of the Ares kid ended up with broken limbs courtesy of the Hunters. They say it was an accident but I knew better. It was silent as we waited for Percy and Grover but once they came in and sat down, Zoe began the meeting.

"This is pointless." Zoe exclaimed angry, "There is no time for talk. Our goddess needs us. The Hunters must leave immediatetly."

"And go where?" Chiron asked looking at her pointedly.

"West!" Bianca said. She became sort of Zoe's personal assistant so she was standing by her side. "You heard the prophecy. Five shall go west to the goddess in chains. We can get five hunters and go."

"Yes," Zoe agreed nodding at her, "Artemis is being held hostage! We must find her and free her."

"You're missing something, as usual," Thalia countered, "Campers and Hunters combined prevail. We're supposed to do this together."

"No!" Zoe shouted, "The Hunters do not need thy help."

"Your," Thalia grumbled, "Nobody has said thy in, like, three hundred years, Zoe. Get with the times." Zoe looked puzzled like she was trying to figure out how to say the word.

"Yerrr," Zoe tried, "We do not need yerrr help."

"Forget it." Thalia said rolling her eyes.

"I fear the prophecy says you do need our help." Chiron said, "Campers and Hunters must cooperate."

"Or do they?" Mr. D mused as he practically ignored all of us. "One shall be lost. One shall perish. that should rather nasty, doesn't it? What if you fail because you try to cooperate?"

"Mr. D," Chiron said rubbing his head with his hand, "with all due respect, whose side are you on?"

"Sorry, my dear centaur. Just trying to be helpful." Mr. D mumbled raising his eyebrows.

"We're supposed to work together." Thalia said stubbornly, "I don't like it either, Zoe, but you know prophecies. You want to fight against one?" Zoe grimaced but agree with that.

"We must not delay." Chiron warned. "Today is Sunday. This very Friday, December twenty-first, is the winter solstice."

"Artemis must be present at the solstice." Zoe added, "She has been one of the most vocal on the council arguing for action against Kronos's minions. If she is absent, the gods will decide nothing. We will lose another year of war preparations."

"Are you suggesting that the gods have trouble acting together, young lady?" Dionysus asked a tad threatenly.

"Yes, Lord Dionysus." Zoe said respectfully.

"Just checking. You're right, of course. Carry on." Mr. D. said nodding.

"I must agree with Zoe, " Chiron said, "Artemis's presence at the winter council is critical. We have only a week to find her. And possibly even more important: to locate the monster she was hunting. Now, we must decide who goes on this quest."