Chapter 19: We need some dam help

I was in a dazed feeling as I sat in the worn down pick-up truck we found by the junkyard. As much as we wanted to we couldn't stop the quest to continue searching or just mourn Bianca's death. I stared out the window as Thalia drove down the highway not saying a word. The whole truck was filled with silence except for maybe a few weeps or cries of sadness that came out of one of our mouths. I was remembering my prophecy that I heard a few years back and one line stood out.

Loss of a friend she shall mourn

Was Bianca the friend I was mourning? Or will I have to mourn more friends until this prophecy is fully fulfilled? I sigh as I stare out the window of the truck wishing that Bianca was the last I would mourn but I knew she wouldn't be.

I must have fallen asleep or been so lost in my thoughts because the next thing I know we were at a dead end in the middle of a canyon. I push open the truck's door before slamming the door shut. I guess I used my powers accidentally because the tires blew rendering the truck unusable even if we weren't at a dead end.

"Great, what now?" I grumble. The others step out and look around with me. We were at the edge of the canyon where the cliff dropped off and at the bottom was a river about fifty yards wide. I noticed a small ledge path that would lead us down to the river. When no one answered my original question, I decided to point out the path.

"There's a path over there that leads to the river. If we could get the river, Percy and I together should be able to bring the four of us downstream." I say pointing out the ledge path. Percy glances at Thalia before shaking his head.

"It's too small. With out mentality, we would probably fall and you wouldn't react in time since you are also not fully here." Percy says. He points in the upstream direction. "Let's walk along the cliff upstream until we find a better path." I nod before following him with Zoe and Thalia right behind me. We must have walked a half mile before coming to an easier slope. The four of us trekked down the slope and when we reached the bottom we noticed a canoe rental shop that was closed at the moment. I pulled out a stack of golden drachmas and put it in front of the door with a note telling the owner that we took two canoes.

"We need to head upsteam. The rapids are too swift." Zoe said her voice sounding like she had the flu.

"Leave that to Percy and I." I say as I push one of the canoes into the water. Percy pushed the other one in. I used my powers to keep the canoes from drifting downstream as Percy, Thalia, and Zoe went to get the oars. I saw Thalia ask something of Percy before he nods and he heads off to the other canoe and Thalia joined me. I released my hold on the canoes but I realized I didn't really need to have the hold because there were some naiads near us.

"Would you mind helping upstream? We are in a hurry." I say softly to them. The naiads giggle at me before nodding and choosing a canoe and pushing us upstream very quickly. Percy didn't realize they were there and since he was standing and we started so fast, he fell on top of Zoe. Thalia laughed at Zoe when she got splashed by the naiads after Zoe had said she hated naiads.

"Atlantia, you do know it wasn't your fault that Bianca died right?" Thalia said after a few minutes as we headed further downstream. "We can't break a prophecy." I sigh.

"I'm not just broken over her death. I'm..." I look at her, "I had a prophecy told to me about me two years ago given to me by the Fates."

"What was the prophecy?" Thalia asked looking at me concern written in her eyes. I take a breath before reciting the familiar lines.

A daughter of the gods shall be born

Lost of a friend she shall mourn

but true love she shall gain