Chapter 25: Time to Fight Again

I stare back at Camp Jupiter from the hill just outside the city. It's been almost 7 months since I've arrived at camp and I've spent the time training the Roman demigods and training with. Reyna and Jason were natural leaders and I felt confident that those two will be able to lead the Roman demigods to victory. Reyna herself was sad to see me go but she understood that I couldn't stay forever not with my heritage. I take one last look at the family I had gotten to know before calling on the shadows to take me to Camp-Half Blood.

I was a little shocked at what I saw because it seemed things were going down hill fast. For one, I noticed multiple monsters just attacking our barriers trying to find a way in. I took out my spear and killed as many as I could before they ran off. Figuring I may need it soon, I didn't sheath the spear and instead strapped it to my back for easy access. I walked through the barrier of camp and noticed there wasn't as many demigods around. Usually, there was about a hundred demigods in camp in the summers but from what I can see, it seems to be more like eighty this year. I guess some joined Luke, some died, and some just disappeared. From the demigods I could see, it looked like they were preparing for war.

"Atlantia! You're back!" I turn to see Clarisse. She had a depressed look on her face despite the happy tone in her voice. 

"Yeah, what's going on? I haven't seen you since you left for your quest." I say as I give her a hug. I don't know how it was possible but her face seemed to get even more depressed.

"Would you come with me?" She asks softly which was something I wasn't expecting from her. Clarisse and I may talk in soft tones to each other but she still doesn't normally ask me to do something.

"Yeah, always." I say letting her lead me to where she wanted me to go. Clarisse pulled me into the Big House but she didn't take me to the medical wing like I was thinking since she seemed depressed so I thought one of the demigods had a severe medical condition or injury. She pulled me toward the back of the Big House where I saw a basement door.

"I didn't know we had a basement." I wondered aloud. Then I heard sobbing coming from the door. Clarisse took a shaky breath before pushing open the door. I follow her down the stairs and I see a teenage Hispanic guy sitting there gripping his shoulders in a tight hug sobbing. He wore tattored camouflage pants and a dirty black t-shirt.

"Who is he?" I say taking a step toward him. He shouts in fear at me backing further into the corner. Stopping in my place, I look toward Clarisse.

"His name is Chris Rodriguez." She began slowly, "He joined the Titan Army about two years ago. Last summer I found him wondering outside my Mom's house in Phoenix, Arizona...just wandering around the desert. It was a hundred and twenty degree outsides and he was in full Greek armor babbling about string. He was driven insane so I brought him to my Mom's house so he wouldn't be taken into a mental institution by the mortals. Chiron interviewed him but the only thing we got out of him is that he has been exploring the Labyrinth."

"Chris has been here the whole time?" I ask looking at the frightened demigod.

Clarisse shakes her head, "No, I brought him here in December...actually the day you left for your quest was when I came back. I've been trying to coax him out but he won't go out really. However, he seems to be a little better when I talk to him."

"I can try to heal him." I offer. Clarisse smiles thankfully at me.

"If you cannot, we'll just have to wait for Mr. D to return but I don't know if he will survive until then." I nod before taking cautious steps toward Chris.

"Chris? My name is Atlantia. We met three years ago when I was apart of Cabin 11." I say softly. His eyes turned sharply in my direction but they were not focused on me.