16. Full Circle

I light another incoming robot on fire and watch it melt into a puddle of metal on the ground next to the core in a matter of seconds.

"Stark knows you." Wanda says ripping another bot in half.

"I know it's kinda weird." I say, doing a fake yawn.

Or it might have been a real one. I'm not sure, I'm very tired.

While I don't want to let it show, this battle is really testing me. I'm completely worn out, and I feel like I could sleep for days.

"Well maybe you should figure out why. He's not as bad as we thought. He means well. He's annoying as hell, but he means well." Wanda says turning to me.

As easy as it would be to just run away after all this is over, if we make it out of this, and go out into the world and just try to live the life that was taken for me, Wanda was right.

Stark was from my past. Every time he talks or looks at me I can feel it in the pit of my stomach.

"Yeah, maybe I will. But let's focus on one thing at a time, yeah?" I say pointing behind Wanda and lighting another robot on fire with my finger.

She smirks, but it then fades as she points behind me. "Another one trying to leave the city!"

I turn and see another bot fly off the edge. "I got it. You stay by the core." I say, letting the fire return to my eyes and surround my body. "And oh yeah, I learned to fly before you." I say with a smirk before gliding through the air after the robot.

I make it to the edge of the city, and blast it from a far, causing it's broken pieces to tumble down to Earth. I don't trust myself to fly without ground beneath myself yet.

It's not really flying, more like hovering, but I'm just hyping myself up.

I did just learn today after all.

I think my concept of being 'safe on the ground' is going to be very messed up after this.

I am about to let myself float down when I feel a sudden burst.

A hole. A growing hole of emptiness. Of dying energy.

I become suspended in mid-air and I feel the energy of my favorite speedster, my protector, my older brother, the person who was there for me when I was down at my lowest, slowly fade.

It's almost as if I feel the same bullets litter through my chest as his energy fades out.

I don't want to believe it. I can't believe it. It's not true.

I reach my energy to him and send a tingle down his spine. I feel that I reach him, but as soon as it's been sent I feel the energy collapse and his life force fades away all together.

I feel my heart literally breaking into pieces.

I lose control of myself, and fall to the ground.

As my body hits the rock, I can feel that my fire energy explodes around me, bursting and being thrown everywhere, but I don't care.

I barely notice the leather jacket I'm wearing burst into flames as it can't take the heat. 

I barely notice how far the fire reaches and what it destroys.

I barely notice the air getting thinner and thinner with each passing second.

All I can feel is this hole in my heart where Pietro used to be as I scream out as loud as my voice allows me too.

I can't get air down into my lungs and I choke on my own screams and tears. 

My head and heart are splitting and it feels as if I'm actually dying.