Part 42 - Escapee

It was stressful, trying to pull the apartment back to life, when the boys came down they would help but as for Emily's permanent stay her and Harry promised that if they manage to get the apartment back they would live together. 

You might be wondering why they didn't just live in Emily's apartment together, well, when you have made so many memories in a home that could potentially go to waste since the state it was in was appalling you would struggle to do nothing. Plus, having a wonderful neighbour was rare and they weren't going to abandon Mary at any costs so there was really no question about it, anyway, it was like living next to a personal one woman bakery. 

Time seemed to pass and moods seemed to lighten, it had only taking around year after all for Jake to be locked up, I guess the mouse needed a better hiding spot. She didn't feel bad at all, her insecurities were gone and working on refurbishing the apartment was giving her something to think about. 

Benjamin and Alex had gotten engaged, they had been together for years so it wasn't super shocking after all, Emily had travelled down to Harry's home town a couple times, she had met his parents over a lovely home cooked meal as well. They were lovely people, and it was nice seeing how much of a mummy's boy Harry really was.

But nothing too good lasts for long, after working on the apartment as well as the relationship for two whole years, Harry was called to LA for work six months ago today and their was no telling when he would be back. Mary's grandchildren were round and Emily had been entertaining them during their stay, they often talked and asked about Harry which just made her miss him that little bit more but she knew he would have to be home soon, surely.

The apartment was practically finished now, she was buzzing to see his reaction to the work she had been putting in and the grandchildren seemed to love it just as much. George was the older sibling standing proud at age 10 whilst Lilly moped around being the little 7 year old princess she was. 

Emily had managed to squeeze in some time to herself with a movie whilst Mary kept the kids occupied, asking for their assistance in her famous red velvet cookies, the smell was crawling under the front door filling the room with delight, Emily paused the screen as the credits began to roll on so she could go check on how Mary was holding up with the cheeky bunch.

She opened the door to Lilly jumping around, licking the batter off a wooden spoon spoon, George poking at the budgie through its cage and Mary bent down, holding her back in pain looking into the opened oven.

"Oh thank goodness, do you think you could help-"

"Oh of course, of course" Emily rushed in helping Mary sit down at her table before slipping on the oven gloves and continuing to take the finished cookies out. "Where do you want the-"

"AHHH, STOP!" George screamed, he had managed to let the budgie escape as it flew around the room, "Oh my goodness" Marry huffed as she held her ears, trying to block out the birds painful screech. Emily's eyes darted for somewhere to put the burning tray but they settled on Lilly swinging back and forth, holding onto the doors handle.

"Lilly! Shut the door!" Emily shouted, trying to overcome the birds volume as well as george's hopeless complaining. Lilly didn't seem to process the instructions fast enough as her gaze followed the budgie which flew straight above her head and out of the apartment. 

Great.

Emily placed the cookies on top of the hob, threw off the oven gloves and dashed out onto the small platform the budgie flew around, it circled, and circled making Emily dizzy, she still attempted to catch it however.

George ran behind her, still shouting about with the empty cage, hoping that if he told the bird that it was cosy inside it would fly straight in. 

Of course none of their methods were working and matters seemed to be getting worse as it flew down the flight of stairs, then the next, and the next. Emily couldn't keep up with the speed,  strands of hair escaped her loose ponytail, her breathing was quick as she still couldn't keep up, even when throwing herself down the stair cases she wasn't fast enough.

As she continued sprinting down the concrete steps she slowed, hearing the sound of hands clasping the fluttering wings. Someone had caught it but.. oh my god.

She had turned the corner to see Harry stroking the bird with his thumb as it settled itself in between his hands, his suitcase was collapsed behind him and a small smile was on his lips.

"I recognise you." He sweetly spoke to the bird, she stood there in shock not expecting his sudden return. The pitter patter of small footsteps and the clanging of the birds cage door grew behind her.

"HARRY!" Lilly screamed, rushing down and giving him a tight hug around his waist since that was the highest she could reach on him. "H-hey Lils." He chuckled, George quickly followed after her, prioritising the bird as he coaxed it back into its cage but then joining in on the hug. "How are you guys, I haven't seen you in ages.." 

It was a sight to see, him, back home, hugged by kids who have been waiting on his return. "Emily was taking care of us when you were away!" George excitedly explained, looking towards Emily as she stood at the top of the stairs, appreciating the little movie scene before her. 

"I'm sure she did." 

His smile was bright, dimples on each cheek, she slowly walked down closer to him as the kids rushed back up the stairs, "GRANNIE, HARRY IS HOME AND HE CAUGHT THE BIRD!" 

It brought a laugh to both of them as they pulled each other into a long awaited hug. "I missed you." She muffled into the material of his jacket, letting her happy tears make their way down her cheeks. 

"I missed you too"