The Promise

The Fox's teeth glinted in the moonlight. There was no where to run, it was cornered. There was nothing else to do but fight.

It growled warningly into the darkness.

Glowing eyes, like they were peering into flames stared it down.

They both knew there was no running.

Not this time.

The wolf mouth salivated and it's jaws opened wide, reminding the fox of a snake, elongating it's jaw.

Stiles gasped out loud as he awoke with a pounding headache.

It felt like he'd run a marathon and his bones were so exhausted he couldn't lift a finger.

A  piecing ringing in his ear made him grimace.

"Stiles! You're awake" A voice exclaimed happily.

Stiles winced at the sound.

The voice was followed by one shushing the other one and saying much more gently and lower so it didn't hurt his ears which Stiles was thankful for "Don't overwhelm him"

Though the voices silenced which Stiles was happy about, that shrill ringing sound would not go away.

If he was more aware of his surroundings he might have recognised the sound as his phone blaring the Star Trek tune in his ears yet right now all the sound just felt like noise that was hurting his ears.

"Turn it of" Stiles grumbled, still cringing away from the sound, curling a bit in on himself.

His phone had fallen out his pocket was ringing on the floor.

Someone had picked it up and the noise finally fell silent and Stiles relaxed, his ears no longer threatening to tear themselves apart.

"You sure you should have turned it off without answering it? That was your Dad Stiles, I'm sure his worried about you"

Stiles finally recognised the familiar voices as he opened his eyes slowly, blinking rapidly as everything seemed a little too sharp, a little to bright, making his eyes sting, none the less that didn't stop the joy from leaping out of his chest as he realised who was in front of him. The moon no longer clouding his mind.

"Kyle? You're here?"

He then noticed how tired and pale Kyle looked , he worried if he'd done that to him.

"Are you okay?!"

Kyle gave a disbelieving laugh like he could believe Stiles was asking him that.

And other voice which had quietened down after Kyle had shushed them was obviously...

"Stiles! Don't worry about him! Worry about yourself!"

Scott.

His memories suddenly slammed into him as he remembered what had accured between them.

He cursed himself at getting so angry, why did the moon effect him so much?

"Scott..."

The alpha werewolf shook his head as he said firmly "It's fine, you don't need to apologise"

Stiles felt some relief, it looked like Scott wasn't angry about it however thinking more about what had happened made him frown.

Why had it hurt so much?

He swore it wasn't like that last time? Sure it had hurt emotionally but physically he'd been fine, more than fine actually.

"Was it meant to hurt that much? It wasn't like that last time" Stiles said frowning.

Kyle asked "I'm not sure, was anything different than last time apart from the pain?"

Stiles was about to say no but then...a flash of a snarl and sharp teeth glittering in the moonlight.

His head throbbed.

Stiles let out a pained growl as he clutched his head.

"Stiles?" Scott asked worriedly.

He waited for the pain to dull before he spoke up again.

He ignored Scott's concern and addressed Kyle's question "It's probably stupid but I...I've been having these dreams"

He told them about the dreams, more like nightmares, about the two animals fighting each other.

How he always woke up aching whenever he dreamed of them.

How it felt like they were clawing at the back of his skull.

Scott looked worried and cornered but looked unsure what to say.

Kyle on the other hand...that expression.

"You know, you know what this is, don't you?" Stiles said pleadingly.

The fox said slowly " I'll need to talk to my Dad first, he knows more about the supernatural than me but it sounds like to me that your Fox and Wolf sides are fighting inside you"

Now that didn't sound good...

Stiles barked out a bitter laugh "So even my supernatural sides are messed up, great"

"It'll be fine, I'm sure my Dad will know how to fix what's going on" Kyle said confidently.

His confidence made the WereFox relax a little.

So this all would be fixed soon? He didn't have to worry about it.

Stiles breathed in and out deeply, calming himself down due to Kyles words.

Scott watching both of their interactions decided to have a look at what Stiles's aura was doing, he was curious.

His eyes glowed red and then despite what he said earlier he couldn't stop the jolt on envy in his gut.

The fox aura was in its cute small form and while it's two tails was wrapped around Stiles in a strange comforting gesture.

The fox was actually lying up on Kyle's shoulders, curled up around him like a cat.

It was probably just reflecting Stiles dependence on Kyle assuring him that everything would be okay but Scott has to wonder if the fox aura ever treated him like that. But then again would he really deserve to be trusted and treated like that due to his past actions?

His stomach twisted at the thought.

Looking at them Scott then realised, his heart squeezing in understanding, is this what Stiles used to feel when he watched Scott and Liam interact?

He remembered Stiles fury on the previos full moon.

Regret and an ugly digging feeling in gut twisted into his veins.

He didn't want to see Stiles like that ever again...

After he had apologised it seemed Stiles had forgiven him for all his past actions but still...

I'll make it up to you Stiles, Scott thought.

I promise.