Chapter Twenty-One

Savannah

I was on my way back to my first trip back to Nebraska. I needed to be here. I needed to support Jack and his dad.

Let me tell you I was nervous, anxious, scared, and worried about coming back. I wasn't sure if Kylie, Derek, Stassie, Johnson, or any of my friends would want to see me.

Before I got on the flight I texted Stassie so I could get a ride to my parents house. Which she was happy to do. She wanted me to update her on everything.

"Well... I actually have a boyfriend now." I say. "What?! Who?! Is he cute?! Shut up, you're playing with me!" She says. I shake my head smiling a bit, but not excited too much.

"Lemme see a picture." She says before we stop at a red light. I pull up a photo of him on a rock. "Damn... I mean, I would smash, but he not my type." She says making me smile a bit.

"Yeah... I mean we've only been dating for like two days." I say. "Was this a last minute trip?" She asks. I nod my head.

"My parents are flying in tomorrow morning." I say.
"So why'd you come out here?" she asks.

"I Uh... actually came out here to see Jack." I say. "Oh... you heard?" She asks. I nod my head. "are you okay?" She asks.

"I'm okay, but... I'm just upset a bit that Jack didn't even call me to tell me about his dad." I say. "I mean you told him you were seeing someone else Savannah. I think he just didn't want to see you anymore." She says.

"I still care though. Jack knows that I don't care how far we are I will still care and love him as much as I did before." I say.
"You still love jack?" She asks.

I look away.
"That's not the point... Jack should've been able to text me, or someone should've." I say. Just as we arrive at my place.

I invite her in going upstairs in my room with a big duffel bag of clothes. I change into sweats, a sweat shirt, and tennis shoes.

I walk downstairs to grab food before going into the living room with Stassie. "How do you think um... Jack will react?" I ask.

"You want the honest answer?" She asks. I nod my head. "I Don't know. He could be mad, happy, or confused to see you. Jack is in his own mind and space. He hardly talks to us anymore. Yeah he lives with us but he hangs out with way more people since school started." She answers.

"I just don't want to hurt him, or upset him more than he is now." I say.
"Yeah... I know that you can change him though Savannah."

"I think I'm just gonna head to the store to grab like cookies and snacks for him. Even like juice or something." I say.

-
As Stassie and I get out of my car I walk around to walk towards the entrance of the hospital.

I hope I don't look like a slug

I hope I don't look like a slug. She leads the way. Once we got to the floor and to the door I see Johnson, Nate, Sammy, and Derek outside.

They were shocked to see me here.
"Savannah? What are you doing here?!" They ask coming to hug me. "I heard what happened... I couldn't just stay in Arizona while you guys were here. Especially Jack." I say.

"Look.. we should tell you that Jack is wit-"

"Hey... Jack says you guys can come in." Madison says coming from inside a room. I get confused and shocked as to why she was here before looking at the guys and her.

"I'm sorry.. who are you?" She asks. She must not recognize me. "Madison what's taking so long?" I hear Jacks voice.

My heart drops falling further down into the dark. "What are you doing here?" He asks softly.
I freeze not knowing if it was a good or a mean way question.

"She heard what happened Jack... yesterday. She flew in this morning." Stassie answers.
"I-I flew in this morning.. morning." I repeat quietly and looking down.

Nate, Derek, and Johnson leads them all away leaving Jack and I to talk.

"Why are you here?" He asks. "Cause I care... I had to come down here. Especially for you Jack. Why didn't you call or text me?" I ask.

"It's your first year in College... you're in basketball. You shouldn't have came." He says.
"But I did, Jack. I didn't care about basketball while.... you and your family are here." I say.

"I didn't call you for a reason.... my family is none of your business Savannah."
"Yes it is... I care about your family. I don't care if I've barely known them. I care! Laura and Molly are like my only older sisters I have!" I say.

"Then I'll call you when they're in the hospital... my dad or mom are none of your concern." He says.
"What about Madison? Why is she here?" I ask.

"She cares about me... unlike someone." He says looking me up and down. "Okay... don't look at me like that Jack. I care about you! I don't know why you would think that... I still love you as much as I did before! Just because I chose Arizona over Omaha doesn't mean I didn't care about anyone." I say.

Then we heard a big crash coming from Inside. It was his dad who threw a vace at the wall.
"You two need to shut up! Clearly... Jack... she cares about you, but you're... being..... to selfish to notice. Move on!... this girl who missed her basketball practice.... or career... came to see you and us." His dad says pausing a lot.

"If it wasn't for this girl.... I would.... be... treating you like shit. So suck it up... if.. she doesn't want to be here In Omaha." His dad says.

"Wait.... you talked to my dad?!" He asks turning to me. "Yeah... before I left to Arizona... I knew I wouldn't be here. So I just talked with your dad. If you just talked to him Jack.. you would've understood why he was pushing you so much." I say.

"Damn right... by the way.... This girl is way much better than Madison." He says. Causing me smile a bit.

Jack looked at me before his dad and hugging his dad. We continued making jokes and his dad making fun of us. I only stayed at the historial for a few hours before I left and heading to my parents house.

•••••