15 | тenerιғє ѕeα

You got that kind of look in your eye

As if no one knows anything but us

Chapter 15 ~ Tenerife Sea

      Jamie Myers

"What do you see in him?" Max asked me all of a sudden as he folded his arms against his chest and redirected his gaze to Scar's kissing booth. A disapproving scowl soon took place on his face as he shook his head in an equally disapproving manner. "Is it because he plays football? Because I play football too."

I tried to hold in a laugh as I watched Scar do his thing, kissing girl after girl and collecting their money. It was finally Saturday, the last day of Carnival Week and although I wanted this week to be over as much as the next person, I was thankful for it. Because without this wonderful Carnival Week, I would've never met Scar.

"Do you, now?" I fired back at him. "What position do you play?"

Max narrowed his eyes into two thin slits and rubbed his chin in deep thought. "The one that makes all the touchdowns."

"Ah," I breathed out, still trying to hold in my laughter. "Well, no. It's not because he plays football. Football has nothing to do with why I like him."

Max fell silent as he stared at Scar again. But he didn't remain silent for long, because he perked up again. "Is it because he's tall?"

I glanced down at Max, who was significantly shorter than me. He seemed to be genuinely interested in why I was attracted to Scar, which was expected because he originally thought I was attracted to him. "No. It has nothing to do with his height."

"Then what is it?" Max questioned in a sharp, fiery tone as he snapped his dark eyes to mine. "Why is he better than me?"

Here we go. Pinching the bridge of my nose, I sighed. "Don't compare yourself to him, Max. I like you guys for totally different reasons."

"Well, you obviously don't like me enough to date me. So tell me why you like him? Is it because he's straight? Because that's stupid. I have a dick and I'm gay, so you're more than welcome to suck it whenever you want to."

I rested a hand on his shoulder and pulled his body against mine, wrapping my arms around him in a tight hug. "Don't worry about it, Maxxie. Besides, I thought you were seeing someone new." I buried my nose in his black hair, which always seemed to smell like strawberries.

I could feel his muscles relax under my touch. "He's not you," he muttered under his breath. I wasn't sure if he intended for me to hear it, but I did. Deciding that this was enough talk about Scar, I laced my fingers through his and dragged him towards the kissing booth and he didn't bother to protest.

When we were finally standing in front of the makeshift wooden booth, Max crossed his arms against his chest in anger. I just ignored him and gazed back at Scar, whose piercing green eyes danced with excitement to see me. "Hey," he said softly, his lips twitching into a small smile.

I smiled back at him, but didn't say anything else. We just stood there, staring into each other's eyes like we were speaking some kind of telepathic lingo. It was just something we did to let each other know we were good. It may have not made any sense to anyone else, but it sure made sense to me.

Max huffed loudly. "Why are you guys staring at each other like that?"

Scar broke away from our eye contact and glanced at Max. His breath hitched in his throat when he recognized him, and he attempted to clear his throat. "It's, uh, Max, right? You're Jamie's friend?"