17 | тнє α тeαм

Lately her face seems slowly sinking

Wasting, crumbling like pastries

Chapter 17 ~ The A Team

        Scar Patterson

A loud clanging noise originating from downstairs made me jump in my sleep. I had the pleasure of not experiencing a home invasion before, but I had watched way too many crime TV shows to brush off a possible break-in.

Tearing the sheets away from me and scrambling out of bed in the pitch black darkness, I inched towards my bedroom closet where I grabbed onto my baseball bat.

When Dad died, I rebelled against everything he wanted me to be by trying to become a different person. Legally changing my name was one of them, cutting my hair was another, and burying any of the hobbies I picked up when he was alive was the last. Of those hobbies were playing baseball and playing the piano.

However, completely letting go the remnants of him was out of the question which was why my baseball bat still stood in my closet and I had my piano moved to the attic.

Once I gained a tight grip on the bat, I slowly eased out of my bedroom, being extra careful not to make any noise. My fingers felt the edges of the walls to guide me to my sister's room which was just across the hall. I pushed the door open gently, not bothering to flick on the light, and inched my way to her bed. I knew waking her would frighten her, but there was a damn intruder in the house!

I poked her shoulder. "Amy."

She didn't even budge.

I tried again, jabbing my finger deeper into her flabby flesh. "Amy."

Nothing.

Rolling my eyes, I let out a much needed over-exaggerated sigh. I fisted my hands into her comforter and tugged it with all of my strength, causing her to roll out of the sheets and fall to the floor. She woke up almost instantly and she stared at me with wild eyes. "What the fu-"

I clasped a hand over her mouth and shushed her. "There's no time to curse. There's someone in the house."

"What? Like a burglar?"

I nodded, though I doubted she could see it in the darkness. "We have to see if Mom's okay and we'll call the police."

"My cell phone is downstairs!" She cried out.

"Idiot," I muttered under my breath as I felt around for her arm and helped her stand to her feet. "Go to my room and get my phone on my bed. I'm going downstairs."

Amy clutched onto my arm, holding me back. "No! Are you insane? What if he has a gun?"

I yanked my arm out of her grasp. "It's what Dad would've done," I informed her and that seemed to shut her up.

Feeling my way through the darkness and hoisting the baseball bat over my shoulder, I slowly descended the stairs in a more-than-silent manner. I could see light coming from the kitchen and thought how stupid it'd be if the burglar came to steal our food.

Regardless, I kept my composure and put on my brave face as I descended the last step, cautiously heading towards the kitchen. As soon as a figure came into view, I raised my bat over my head and prepared to charge towards it but stopped myself when I noticed the figure had long brown hair. "Mom?"

Her oceanic eyes snapped to mine almost instantly and her lips peeled back into an unsettling smile. "Scarlet, honey!"

Why was she calling me Scarlet? We all agreed when I had my name changed that we would never mention that name again.