Chapter 26

It was December 17 and Thomas came back to the room with a tablet and I was curious as to where he got it. He told me he snuck it away and we looked through it together and Thomas read this letter given years before the Flare went crazy. He learned the things that I had already knew, that the Flare was meant to kill only some of the human population. He thought I was just finding out with him and didn't ask any questions as to why I wasn't as surprised as he was. Which I was grateful for because I didn't want to tell him that I already knew. Although it seemed to me like Thomas was losing his faith in WICKED and now the seed was planted where he might side with me to leave this place. My hope grew stronger and it brought a smile to my face. Thomas was so happy to see me smile despite not understanding why I was smiling.

A couple of months later Thomas wanted to go outside in hopes to cheer me up. We see the snow that was left here from last winter. It was May but the snow was still here. I must say it was really beautiful. As we were enjoying the view Randall suddenly appeared from nowhere and he wasn't looking too good. We were told by the guards to run on the back but Randall called after us and so we stopped for some reason. The guards put their weapons up though. Randall was obviously turning into a crank, he was looking close to it already.

"I see I can't hide it any longer can I?"-Randall

"How long?"

"Oh, the little Doctor, happy to see you are well." He was being really sarcastic when he saw me. "For a long time actually, I've accidentally used up all of your serum as well."-Randall

"So it's been you all this time."-Thomas

I began to think back to the first insertion day when I was forced by him to do the Swipe procedure on the people I loved most. It made me so mad, I was furious and I was really wanting to watch him die. Although we were forced to run back inside.

Later that night I was asked to make a poison. I didn't ask questions and did it. I didn't want to know what I was doing, I thought it would be for the better. I just did what they asked and when they were happy I gave it to them and went to bed. I just wanted all of this to be over. I wanted Newt back.

The next day Thomas rolled into the bed next to me and looked to be really scared. I hugged him tightly and asked what's wrong.

"Last night, or this morning, me, Teresa, Aris, and Rachael, went out and killed people who had the Flare. It was so scary, they attacked us, they said some things that were terrifying. I had to kill someone Y/n. I didn't want to, even if they were attacking us and had a deadly virus, I didn't want to kill people."-Thomas

I couldn't believe they made Thomas do that, it seemed ridiculous that, that many people had the Flare. How could that many people suddenly have the Flare? What's going on? I want Newt back.

It was July 6 and it was around 8 am I had gotten up early to watch the Gladers. Thomas didn't wasn't able to join me today so I watched them by myself. It's sad how watching my friends through cameras has become therapeutic to me. It keeps me relaxed for the most part. Things were going alright so far until I noticed something that sent me going crazy.

It was Newt's day off of running which made it easier for me to be near him. I was controlling the beetle blade to walk around near him, this helped me to feel like I was near him. I had a different beetle blade follow Minho so I can be reassured that he will be safe. Newt was being a little odd this morning as he walked around every part of the Glade. It was weird but it was nice to be near him and hear his voice. At some points, he would just sit down and be in places for as long as 30 minutes. I was really worried because I wished I could talk to him, I wish I could reassure him and tell him everything he wanted to know. It killed me as I can see guilt and sadness gloom over him as he was standing over the graves of his friends.

"I'm so sorry Newt, I would do anything to have you all be here with me."

I placed my hand forward onto the screen and Newt soon walked away hurriedly and the beetle blade rushed hurriedly after him. He then went through the west door and walked into the maze. He seemed to have known where he was going and I wondered if he was following after Minho. I switched to look at the Beetle Blade that was near Minho. I looked around the area hoping to recognize it and realize where Newt was going but couldn't see him. I went back to the other Beetle Blade and Newt seemed to disappear. I looked around my surroundings and found him climbing the ivy that hung over the wall.

"What are you doing?"

I followed after him, he made the climb look so easy compared to the measly job I would have done. When he reached as high as he could he stopped and carefully turned himself around. My brain seemed to click when I saw him look straight into the camera. I quickly got up from my seat making the chair fall back. I started screaming and in my head, I screamed for Newt to stop. Repeatedly I was screaming Newt in my head as I did in the past, and my voice sounded so dry when I screamed for him to stop.

"I don't know who you people are, but I hope you're happy. I hope you get a real buggin' kick out of watching us suffer. And then you can die and go to hell. This is on you."-Newt

The screams were louder and then I felt it, the wall was breaking, it wasn't opening, it was breaking. I felt it go through to him, the pain I felt, the screams for him, my love for him, I sent it all as I screamed his name in my head.