Chapter 27

He had already jumped at that moment when he had received it, but when his eyes opened I knew he got it, I knew that in some weird way he knew who I was and that the voice in his head wasn't an enemy but someone he loved. He quickly tried to stop his fall but it ended up with him falling hard on the ground with a broken leg. The pain came quickly to him. He screamed in pain. I still felt like that wall was broken and continued to spew out what I could.

"I'm so sorry Newt, I know how you feel. I don't know how much longer I have and I know you don't know who I am but I still love you. Please don't kill yourself I want to be able to return to you. I miss you so much, my love."

The wall quickly came back and it was sealed. I started crying again, especially when I heard Newt whisper through his pain.

"No, come back please." A sharp pain was sent throughout his body and he screamed again. "I hate you! I hate you! Why did you take them away!"-Newt

I couldn't handle it. I just fell onto the floor and cried in a little ball. I didn't want it to end, I could talk to him forever if I could. I saw that Minho came to save him and Thomas soon came to save me. He takes me to my room and goes back to watch it himself since he knew I wouldn't tell him. When he returned he looked so scared and sad.

"Newt." The words that came out of his mouth almost sounded like a surgeon coming to tell me some bad news about a family member. "Thank you Y/n for saving him."-Thomas

"How could I not." The tears weren't as heavy but my mouth was very dry and my voice was a little lost.

"How did you do it though? How did you break the system?"-Thomas

"I don't know, I wish I knew how I did it. Maybe then I could break it all the time to talk to him."

"It's okay, someday you will."-Thomas

A couple of months passed by again and it was September. It was a couple of days away from me and Thomas' 17th birthday. Apparently, though today was a little different than any other day. Thomas and the deceased Chancellor Anderson, both supposedly made letters addressing the situation of the deaths of the Purge. It was definitely a strange letter since I have been with Thomas the majority of the time and he has not written such a letter and Chancellor Anderson was one of the ones killed in the Purge. We read through it all and Thomas' letter was saying how he would take responsibility and how he hopes everything will return to normal and that now Dr. Paige was Chancellor. Anderson's letter was pretty much an appreciation and goodbye letter.

This wasn't right as it was obviously a forged letter. Teresa and Thomas went to go confront Chancellor Paige and I stayed behind. I don't want to see her face ever again for as long as I could live. The respect I once had for her has long been gone since two years ago. I just simply hate her and want to not speak or hear from her ever again. When Thomas comes back in the room he hands me a letter.

"Chancellor Paige says that she wants you to read this."-Thomas

I took the letter and set it aside, I didn't want to read it no matter what it said. Thomas lays down on his bed and I was confused since it was the afternoon. He then started to speak.

"I want to run away, but I don't want to leave Newt, Minho, and Alby. I want them to come too and maybe when all is good we could be neighbors and Minho would mess around with the grandkids telling them the life of a runner and being weird. You can be happy again with Newt and I would be happy to just see you smile again. I want this all to be over. I sometimes want to go into the Glade just to be with them just to get out of here and be with them like old times. It's sad though, I dream for something that can't be a reality, but it feels better for me to lie to myself."-Thomas

"I know how you feel. I've been dreaming of the same thing for years. I almost had it, but I can't do it any longer because what's the point if I can't have Newt next to me. If I and Minho aren't making fun of each other and Alby isn't shaking his head at our childish behavior. I wanted it all so bad."

"I'm sorry that you have to go through this. It's hard to see you be like this big sis. I wish Newt was here too. He was my best friend."-Thomas

"Maybe one of these days it can be like that."

"Yeah."-Thomas

Thomas goes to sleep and I look back at the letter. I hesitantly decided to open it. I began to read it in my head.

"Dear Y/n, I know that these are rough times for you and I want to apologize for the torture Randall had put you through, it was not right for him to do that and he had no authority to do so. I have never lied to you Y/n, and I won't lie to you now. You are our biggest asset and we have gotten the most helpful information from you and Newt. I believe everyone else as well believes that you will be the person who finds the cure. I know how you must be feeling right now, I know you hate us. Although think about it, if you put yourself back into the field stronger than ever then you will be able to find that cure, and Newt and your friends would come back to you. Newt would be saved by you. You will be set free and live a peaceful life surrounded by the ones you love. We know you can do this. We have strong faith in you. Sincerely, Chancellor Paige."

I scoffed after finishing it.

"It seems like they found out who their queen is."

Too bad I already have found out what the cure is and no matter how tempting the offer is I know that once they find out about me and Thomas being the cure the promises she just gave me would all be lies. So forgive me Newt, Minho, Alby, Chuck, and Thomas, I need to do this in a different way.