Chapter 22

Mitch and I went on the offence, seeking any weak spots in the other teams defence. We stalked the perimeter of our side practically asking for anyone to take a step over the line.

One of the kids in the football team bolted over the line and I took off after him. We were playing elimination so as soon as you're caught, you're out. He tried to fake me out but I didn't fall for it. When he realized that he wasn't dodging me, he fled towards where our flag was hidden. I loved a good chase...

I was careful not to run too fast but by no means did I let the guy go. With a quick boost of speed I got beside him and then in front. He ran into me only he was the one to fall. I grinned at him and waved my hand towards the teacher.

"Looks like you're out," he stood up and walked away, his pride looking hurt. I sprinted back over to the perimeter where Mitch was walking back to from where he caught a small girl. She was trudging back to the wall and he had a triumphant grin on his face.

"Nice job," I nodded to the girl.

"That was nothing. You catching Lyndon, the fastest guy on the football team was something. Keep that up and we'll win the game by tagging them all," his eyes were scanning our side. My ears tuned into a snap. I tensed and turned to the sound. It was the opposite team, two members had crept past us and were moving stealthily against the fence. My eyes narrowed and I grinned.

Without warning, I sprinted faster than before at these two kids who were unsuspecting. They heard me and their heads snapped in my direction before they bolted towards our hidden flag. One broke off a little farther than the other and I went after him. He was fast, not as fast as Lyndon but still pretty fast. I tagged him and continued to race after the other guy without stopping. He was slower than his friend and I caught him faster.

I stopped to search our territory a little more before I was satisfied that it was clear of enemies. I jogged back to where Mitch was. He tagged a few more that crossed the boarder. I didn't have to talk to him as I approached, I only nodded in the direction of the opposers side and we took off full speed into their side. I was naturally faster than Mitch so I led us as we dodged and outran other kids. We saw the poorly hidden flag in the high branches of a tree.

"Draw them off me. I'm getting the flag," I grabbed the bottom branch and hauled myself up. He ran the other way in a serpentine pattern. I just realized how serious we were taking this. And I loved it. It was just like training without the powers.

Climbing the tree was so easy. I grabbed the flag and saw a clear spot in the branches. Here goes nothing... I jumped and landed in a crouch. Not wasting any time, I jumped up and sprinted with as much speed that looked slightly possible to the boarder. Mitch was caught in the process of distracting them but I made it over the line without any problems. I screamed with cheer and fist pumped the air with the flag tightly in my fist.

Winning felt good. Even if it was over a game of capture the flag.
-------
"Austin! You're going to throw paint on me!" We were painting in art again but Austin thought it would be a good idea to fling paint.

"That's okay!" He was laughing while I was yelping and dodging paint drips. I ran behind a canvas to hide from his attacks. He wasn't deterred and jumped in front of me, paint brush in hand.

"I surrender! My white flag is up!" I yelped and covered my face with my hands. He lowered his brush and smirked.

"You may have one this time, but I will get you some day. For this, you will pay," I made my face a serious as I could and turned my voice down an octave. He brought his brush back up and I squeaked and crawled under the canvas before he could splatter more at me.

I jumped back up and went to my canvas as the teacher came back from running an errand. Austin was sneaking me glances and every time he caught my eye he would send me a creepy grin. I shook my head and only prayed that the teacher wouldn't leave again. I liked my clothes and would rather not have paint all over them.

We didn't talk anymore during class. I avoided him because of his creepy smiles at me. When the bell signalled the end of the day I bolted to the door, hoping that I could get away from him. I thought I succeeded until I felt a hand on my shoulder. I lunged forward and the hand let go. When I turned around, no one was there.

"Okaayyy, that's totally not creepy," I muttered to myself. I turned back around to come face to face with a smiling Austin. I jumped back and let out a small scream. He burst out laughing and I nearly punched him.

"You... should have... seen your face," he stuttered between breaths. I scowled and started walking back to my locker, annoyed that I screamed like a baby because he startled me.

"Wait!" He called to me when he caught his breath. He ran up to walk beside me. "Do you mind if I come over tonight?"

"Sure. It's not like I was doing anything anyways," I didn't have many friends so my normal night was staying home and eating junk food on the couch while yelling at the television.

"Okay, I was coming over anyways," he grinned innocently and I rolled my eyes.

"Then I hope you don't mind if I invite Alice," I grinned right back at him.

"Yeah. That's fine," he looked... disappointed? I couldn't quite place his expression.

"Good. She was coming anyways," I used his same remark.

"Alright. I'll be over at six. See you then," he waved with two fingers and left to go to his locker.

I packed my things up and walked to my car. When I got in I hissed. The seat felt like it was melting the skin on my legs, it was so hot. I lifted my butt from the chair and waited for the leather to cool. Dumb stuff.

Driving home, I kept looking in my mirror. I panicked when a car took the same two turns as me, but then relaxed when it went left when I took a right. I was just being paranoid.

I pulled my car into my driveway and cut the engine. I looked behind me and into the nearby yards before I opened the door. I slowly set on foot on the concrete and then the other. When I was sure no one was going to jump me, I stepped fully out and closed my door. I picked up my bag from the back when I was inside the car so I immediately sped walked to my front door and fumbled trying to get my keys out as fast as I could. I nearly dropped them but used my super speed to catch them. Once they were the right way I jammed them into the lock and twisted. It clicked open and I rushed in, making sure to lock it as soon as it was shut.

I blew out a breath I didn't even know I was holding in. If I was going to be doing this every time it came home, driving anywhere was going to suck.