Chapter 26

I vaguely remembered falling asleep on the couch, resting my head on Austin's shoulder.

When I woke up the clock said 3:22 AM. I went to go to my bedroom but fell back down when I felt an arm around my shoulder. I looked over and saw that he was still sleeping beside me. I smiled and sat back down. I had no problems with this.

I set my head back on his shoulder and closed my eyes. My parents were surly home by now and they had to have seen us. I just hoped that I didn't have to explain much to them other than about how he stayed here because I was recently attacked.

I fell back asleep soon and almost thought that I was smiling in my sleep.
-------
I woke up with a yawn and stretched my arms out. I yanked it back when I heard a groan and saw that I had basically punched Austin in the face.

"Sorry," I said awkwardly when he rubbed the side of his face.

"Yeah, it's fine," he chuckled and then stretched his arms being careful not to punch me, unlike myself.

"Thanks for staying last night," I said quietly, I was so quiet that I thought he didn't hear until he replied.

"No problem. I didn't mind," he smiled. I looked over to the wall clock. 6:08. It wasn't too bad of a time. We had to get to school but we both had cars. I yawned again and stood up slowly, cracking my back a few times in the process. Normally, sleeping on the couch would give me sore muscles but I felt like I slept in heaven. Which could technically be true...

"You should probably get home if you want to be to school at a decent time," I said once he stood up.

"Alright. You want a ride to school?" This time it was his turn to yawn.

"Do you guys want breakfast?" Mom yelled from the kitchen. This could get awkward. I looked to Austin and he shrugged and nodded as if to say 'why not?'.

"Yeah sure," I yelled back to her.

I moped to the kitchen and breathed in the sweet smell of homemade waffles. Mom was always the best at cooking breakfast.

"So... Anything happen last night," she asked rather awkwardly.

"Uhh, yeah but you won't expect it," I swallowed thickly. Even thinking about what happened was making me want to cry again.

"Mind explaining a bit?" mom asked hesitantly. I couldn't seem to get rid of the lump in my throat no matter how many times I swallowed. Thankfully Austin spoke before me.

"Someone tried to attack Car last night by putting an explosive on the back door step. She got rid of it before it could blow up and went after the people who put it there. When I found her in the woods behind the field she had a guy trapped and she was in this weird trance like state," he looked to me every so often to see if I was okay. "When the guy tried to tell me to go away I yelled at him and she looked at me with pitch black eyes. She didn't seem like herself but managed to tell me to run. I ran back to the house and she came back a little later. She got rid of the guy who went after her so he won't be a problem."

My eyes were stinging like they were on fire and I had stopped breathing, too scared that if I did I would start hiccuping. Mom had covered her mouth with her hand and she gasped a few times. Dad wasn't down here so I assumed that he was still sleeping.

"Honey. I-I," she sighed. "I'm so sorry. We're never there for you." She sounded on the verge of tears and it took everything in me not to cry right there. Instead I kept my gaze on the floor and shook my head vigorously.

"It's okay mom. I'm fine," a lie, but I didn't trust my voice to say anymore. "I'm just getting breakfast."

"Alright. You can tell me anything," she prompted like she wanted me to tell her. I wasn't ready for that just yet though.

I picked up a plate and stacked a few perfect waffles on it. Austin did the same and I walked to the table. He sat down beside me and I felt a little more comfortable.

"Thanks for the billionth time in the last few days," I said quietly with a small laugh. He shrugged like it was no big deal.

"Not a problem," he started eating his food and I took that as my cue to do the same. It helped me forget about the things that had occurred the previous day.
-------
Austin had left after food and I agreed to a ride to school. Mom had questioned me as soon as he left but she did manage to make me laugh which was good. I told her that nothing happened and she let me go up to my room.

I threw on a pair of grey high waisted shorts with fraying edges and a simple white ballerina top with an open back. I put some white tennis shoes on and pulled my hair into a high ponytail. I didn't apply any makeup today and grabbed my school bag.

I was hopping down the stairs when I heard the honk of a car. I gave mom a quick hug and kiss and the same to my dad. You never knew if that was the last time you could see them so make the most out of it every time. I knew this as a fact because it already happened to me once.

"Bye guys," I called and jumped out the door. Idling in my driveway was an amazing looking Charger. It was sleek and silver. How had I not noticed his car before now? This thing was sweet!

I opened the passenger door and looked at him like 'explain please,' he smiled and tapped his fingers on the steering wheel.

"I saved up my money and bought this baby when I was 16 as soon as I got my license," he pushed the had and we drove out the driveway.

"This is such a cool car Austin," I ran my hands over the polished interior and grinned. I liked cars but didn't know much about them other than if I'd drive one or not. I would totally drive this car.

We pulled into the parking spot and he pulled into a random space. I got out and waited for him. We walked inside together, a little earlier than usual.

"I'm following you to your locker," he said.

"I didn't expect anything less," I smiled and turned a corner that led to my locker.

I stopped in my spot and curled my lip at the figure who was currently stopped in front of my locker. They were taping a piece of paper to my locker that had all kinds of harsh words written all over it.

I walked forward silently and Austin got the hint to be quiet. When I was within arms length I grabbed the figure by her shoulder and spun her around. She was wearing a hood so I couldn't see her hair. My face fell and tears formed in my eyes when I saw who was responsible for all those hateful things.

"...Alice?"